Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Microsoft's Vista, Not so Hot Afterall
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimBowy

PostPosted: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 12:16:17    Post Subject: Microsoft's Vista, Not so Hot Afterall Reply with quote View Single Post

Why am I not surprised? In some benchmarks Vista is ~90% slower than XP. Gaming performance sucks! In some applications Vista did better, but marginly, we're talking 1-5% better....

Read the details here: http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/29/xp-vs-vista/index.html

Needless to say, I'll be sticking with XP!

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 12:40:30    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

What would you expect with system requirements that high??

Theres no reason for an operating system to have the kind of system requirements that highend games, server or multimedia applications require. There would nothing left of your machine to process any application beyond Vista itself..

How does one justify having to dedicate that kind of resources to the operating system alone when older or "other" types of operating systems do the same job with less requirements?? You would need a cluster to have equal speed, feel and smooth operations. One machine to run Vista, the stripped down to nothingness to run your applications.

I tried out Vista on a few machines now, on machines at the minimum all the way up to uber, ballz to the wallz systems. ...all of which got a fresh install of WinXP Pro there after.

Ya'll remember when Direct X games were cursed upon when compared to OpenGL or Glide? ...that those Direct X games felt like you were walking in water in FPS games. Well thats how Vista feels compared to XP and any older OS.
Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 12:51:28    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hope you weren't trying to shock anyone here Jim. I read that earlier and saw they did turn off the Aero when benchmarking. The reason to get Vista is Aero...imagine if they left that on. Yikes
JimBowy

PostPosted: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 12:51:56    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

When DX10 games become the norm and not the exception, what are we to do? Then we will be forced to "upgrade" to Vista to play the games....
JimBowy

PostPosted: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 12:52:39    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Modulok wrote:
Hope you weren't trying to shock anyone here Jim. I read that earlier and saw they did turn off the Aero when benchmarking. The reason to get Vista is Aero...imagine if they left that on. Yikes

Yes, what a scam that is.... I forgot to mention that.

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 12:58:25    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Nice... but I bet DirectX10 game will be better under Vista... so that means 1 to 2 yrs before Vista is an upgrade. Laughing
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 13:00:17    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

JimBowy wrote:
When DX10 games become the norm and not the exception, what are we to do? Then we will be forced to "upgrade" to Vista to play the games....

Bet most will go down to DX9, but you'll loose features/visuals.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 14:49:00    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I know FSX sucks on DX9...I'm getting a free volume license for Vista Ultimate, so we'll see how that runs on there...but with a DX9 card Sad.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 14:55:06    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Here are some more game benches comparing Vista to XP...

http://www.techgage.com/article/windows_vista_gaming_performance_reports
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 16:04:46    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'll hold the judgement regarding gaming on Vista when games are certified to work on Vista. We had this same problem back when Xp first came out. It'll never change Smile

The biggest issue I had with Vista was the cd copy protection wouldn't allow me to play some of the games I had bought. Might be worked out by now though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: