Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
CentOS Linux 5
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Fri, 11 May 2007 16:45:50    Post Subject: CentOS Linux 5 Reply with quote View Single Post

It has been out a few weeks now I guess, and I am installing it on a Mini-ITX machine I have... Looks like I am putting on Fedora Corde 6 so far... Very similar feel.

Anyone know of a place to find drivers for, or a way to make a AT&T brand USB Wireless G adaptor work? Model 6602G?

Didn't work for me on Fedora Core 6, and I'm guessing I might face the same thing here.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Fri, 11 May 2007 17:13:42    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Try SUSE Grin
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Fri, 11 May 2007 17:19:33    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Why? Do they have USB WiFi drivers?

I have been trying things (Ubuntu and Fedora) and just want to go back to CentOS since I am so comfortable with it... And it seems the most complete to me, too.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Fri, 11 May 2007 19:47:38    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Out of all the Distro's I've played with SUSE seems to be the easiest to use, with the most support.

Played with CentOS a while ago, and well... it was "OK".
Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Fri, 11 May 2007 20:03:11    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

The company I work for just started putting their new equipment in a new datacenter. All the Linux boxes we've set up in there so far are CentOS 5 after using CentOS4 and Debian in the old datacenter. CentOS 5 seems to be going well so far. Looking forward to putting it through it's paces. I have not and do not plan to try out the CentOS 5 GUI, though. All I use it for is on servers.

And for USB WiFi...depends on hardware. It might be an already installed kernel module or it might need to be self-compiled.

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Fri, 11 May 2007 20:18:01    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I do see in the Hardware Browser that it at least knows it is connected as well as the make and model of USB adaptor. Maybe I'm just not smart enough to make it do anything... Laughing

Back up plan is to get a wireless bridge, or maybe move a wireless router over there and make it work like a bridge.
Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Fri, 11 May 2007 20:33:51    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

this is why ubuntu is great...you just google your issue and you will most likely find a solution.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Fri, 11 May 2007 20:55:41    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I tried Ubuntu... It isn't like there isn't tons of support for CentOS... Just that I have no room for any PCI cards, happen to have an older USB WiFi adaptor... and really want WiFi on this system... Grin
Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Fri, 11 May 2007 21:29:17    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Can you tell me what you get for that hardware from the command `lspci`? I'll see if there's any drivers/info for it.
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Fri, 11 May 2007 22:18:59    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

BB, (Dr.FG)
The key to getting your usb adapter working is to find out what chipset it uses. I found some vague references to the Atheros chipset, but I can't really be sure. It's a safe bet that ATT didn't make it so I'm sure it's rebadged. If it's Atheros, I would look for Atheros USB Linux drivers. Might be worth a shot, but as I said I only found one vague reference to atheros. Atheros has several chipsets, so more info might make things easier.

Might also want to try ndiswrapper. I've used it once or twice successfully, but more often without success.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: