Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Dragon Naturally Speaking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wiseacre
Rated R

PostPosted: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 20:00:50    Post Subject: Dragon Naturally Speaking Reply with quote View Single Post

Does anyone use Dragon ( http://www.nuance.com/naturallyspeaking/ ) for voice recognition software? How’s it work? Is it decent? How about the read aloud function?
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Kilamon
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 12:25:49    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I used to use it a while back. After using OS/2 Warp, however, I can say that the Dragon product was not as good at the time. I'm sure that in the 7-10 years that it's been, they've have time to improve. It would definately be my own choice for voice recognition, especially since they're the industry leader and used by dictation companies.
Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 13:32:45    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I used it back in the Windows 98 days. Worked pretty well, although it did have trouble keeping up...but that was also back in the Pentium II 350MHz days.

I would also prefer this software for voice recognition. My only dilemma with talking to type is that I can type just as fast as I can talk, and my roommate doesn't have to hear me saying "Hey, sexy. Sup? Nothing much. Sorry about the crabs,. The guy at Red Lobster said they were fresh. Well, I'm going to go back to watching Skinemax latenight. Bye, Joe." (typical conversation between me and my awesome co-worker online).
Wiseacre
Rated R

PostPosted: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 14:24:01    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Blue|Fusion wrote:
I used it back in the Windows 98 days. Worked pretty well, although it did have trouble keeping up...but that was also back in the Pentium II 350MHz days.

I would also prefer this software for voice recognition. My only dilemma with talking to type is that I can type just as fast as I can talk, and my roommate doesn't have to hear me saying "Hey, sexy. Sup? Nothing much. Sorry about the crabs,. The guy at Red Lobster said they were fresh. Well, I'm going to go back to watching Skinemax latenight. Bye, Joe." (typical conversation between me and my awesome co-worker online).

lol. Yeah, I think I might tape some egg cartons on the walls of my room if I switch over to voice recognition. I've just seen three of my co-workers succumb to RSI and I am thinking preventively. And I want my computer to read to me. The new version (9.0) of Dragon claims to work directly out of the box, no training necessary. So I guess I don't need to invest any time to figure out if it works for me.
jaran
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 23:45:21    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I use Dragon NaturallySpeaking 8.0 when I'm writing a essay for school and such. I can talk pretty fast and it works well, though it has some minor spelling issues when you say similar words such, so you have to really articulate some words. This one time I was trying to finish up a late night essay with DNS and I forgot to go back and edit the errors.. guess what happened when I had to read it aloud the next morning? I had no clue what I wrote. So although it does work pretty well (it probably works better if you do more voice configuration, but I only did a couple), you still have to go back and fix the errors.

I'm not sure how 9 works, with its out-of-the box stuff and all.
vectorarrow
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 05:43:00    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I am going to try using 9 to dictate the remaining portion of this reply. The errors are easy to corredt, but if the message gets through, I will not correct them for your benefit.

Quite some time ago. I borrowed, urges seven to try it out. I was impressed, so I purchased version 8 or $85. You sit for a while and was still impressed. So I upgraded to version 9, which was $150 for the upgrade. I am still very favorably impressed, however, the more time and training the software use banned the greater the accuracy will be. The accuracy is inversely proportional to the number of drinks you have had. If you are not upgrading the cost of a full package version 9 will be of bow. Hundred $99. $199. If your application justifies that expenditure, I can highly recommend the product.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: