Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
UPS battery backup questions
Go To Page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 12:43:18    Post Subject: UPS battery backup questions Reply with quote View Single Post

So I got that UPS that was shown in the RAID0 thread (decided I should stop getting off topic in there, hehe). It came in yesterday, plugged it and all my computer stuff in, and gave it atleast 20 hours to charge up (half of which the PC was off).

So it seems to be working pretty good...until I test the battery. The software that comes with it has two tests - the 10 second test and the deep battery test. I ran both and both passed, however when I run the tests, the battery level only shows at 52% once switched from AC to battery. I figured maybe it's just the tests... I give it two hours to see if it will go up or down or anything at all since the tests, and I unplug the UPS from the wall. The UPS is working as it should - keeping everything running, however the battery level indicater jumps from 100% when AC is plugged in to 52% again. What's got me even more confused is the battery drops about 2% every 10 seconds according to the software (and I'm not ballsy enough to get it down to 0 with my computer on). This 2%/sec drop, even if it were at 100%, would fall very short of the rated 120 minutes of battery backup time. And according to the specs sheet in the package, that rating is for fuill load (1500VA/830 watts). According to the software, it's at only 27% load idle and 42% load when running intensive graphics, so it should get more that 120 minutes, shouldn't it?

Could this be an indication of a battery problem? Maybe a failed battery cell? I figure this has been sitting in a wharehouse for a long time (between 2003 and 2004)...would it need new batteries every 3 years, despite not being used? Any other thoughta you have on testing this or maybe I'm completely not correct in assuming how these UPSs work?
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 13:04:18    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

1) HA! 120 Min's... Not in this lifetime. They SOOO Over rate the capacity of those things it's not funny.

2) HOWEVER... doesn't seem right, but then again 20 hours may not actually be enough time. Generally give it at least 48 hours for a full charge, and 72 isn't bad. After that then run the test. Still same results, call the manufacture.
Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 13:08:46    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Sounds good, EC. What kind of battery runtime could be expected if not 120 minutes? An hour? I'd like to know so I can set the program to shutdown the system in a reasonable amount of time.
LaTech
Ruthless TechTator

PostPosted: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 13:30:18    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well, to give you an idea, I have my computer on a 60 minute battery backup (only have my tower and monitor plugged in). I MIGHT (on a good day) get about 20 minutes worth of time out of it. Take the number of minutes they give you...devide by 3 or 4 and that'll be safe.
T-shirt
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 16:40:59    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Belkins own website indicates 120minutes at 50-100%
All I can say is someone screwed the pooch on that spec sheet.
If you go to the APC site(a much more reliable brand IMHO)and look at the
APC runtime chart
scroll down to the 1500 you see at 100% (930w on the APC)you'll get around 10-11 minutes with fresh, fully charged batteries, about 24 at 1/2 load.
I've recommended and installed dozens-hundred+ of UPS's and find the APC chart fairly accurate when new, on a 24 hour charge.
If you notice, the 1/2 load is alittle more then 2x the fullload go down to 1/3 and you get 5 times the runtime.
That's the problem with gelcells is you can only withdraw energy at a slower rate as compared to a wetcell, but they are stable and don't spill.
so for best runtime go WAY over capacity (like a 3000VA,often available used, for $150, but need new batteries soon) You can mod a UPS to use external wetcells (like marine deepcycle batteries) relising that your little UPS will take several/many days to recharge them after an extended event,if it doesn't burn up in the process.
Or you could get a generator to keep the ups charged during the power outage (DON"T use a generator directly to power the computer without a high quality UPS in between, the spikes/um-pure sine wave of a small generator will cook your computer in minutes)
Or you can use the UPS as it was intended to bridge short outages/brownouts and safely shutdown the computer within a few minutes if the power doesn't quickly return to normal.
Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 16:51:43    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

let the deep test drain the battery till it kicks off...you won't lose power...around 20% my deep test stopped.
Das Capitolin
Rated R

PostPosted: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 17:16:48    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

This is how I do it:

Fully charge the battery before it ever gets loaded. Drain under load and record time (computer is idle in the BIOS settings so no problem when it shuts down). Repeat twice. Setup software.

Several factors come into play: how many watts does your system pull? A simple workstation with integrated components and single-core or AMD CPU will last three times as long as a Pentium D with a PCI-E card.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 17:53:52    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

APC are some of (if not THEY) best brands. Also TrippLite's are very good.

Here's a good reference to understand UPS's a little better: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterruptible_power_supply
DragonMaster
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Sat, 01 Jul 2006 00:25:59    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Leave it on for long and test after. You should hope between 2 mins and 20mins depending on the UPS. (Just enough to shut down actually)

These are lead-acid batteries I suppose? Don't leave them discharged for long, they'll dry. (Unless they're deep cycle batteries, which I think since it's an UPS)
T-shirt
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sat, 01 Jul 2006 05:11:49    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

DragonMaster wrote:
Leave it on for long and test after. You should hope between 2 mins and 20mins depending on the UPS. (Just enough to shut down actually)

These are lead-acid batteries I suppose? Don't leave them discharged for long, they'll dry. (Unless they're deep cycle batteries, which I think since it's an UPS)

They are sealed Lead-acid gelcells drying out isn't a problem, 'sulfating' of the lead plates could be a problem if left uncharged for several months.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: