Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Home entertainment system
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sun, 07 May 2006 16:04:23    Post Subject: Home entertainment system Reply with quote View Single Post

I had an idea that came to me today and wanted to see what experiences people have that can either say "do this" or at least point me in the right direction.

Here's the problem I have. KIDS. Do I need to say more? Laughing OK OK. So my kids keep finger f Censored ing all of our DVD's and getting them smudged and scratched. ACK! My plan was to start making backup copies of them all and have them use that while the original sits tucked away safe.

However... this is a pain in the a$$. So what I'm thinking of doing is building a HTPC system, "ripping" all the DVD's to a server and the through hopefully some sort of menu system play the DVD's over the network that way (I can run either wireless, 100, or 1GB connections to the system so bandwidth won't be an issue).

Any suggestions of software? Was probably leaning towards some sort of WinMCE integration, but this isn't a hard requirement.

Thanks!
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sun, 07 May 2006 19:06:51    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Wow. that sounds so familiar to http://www.bigbruin.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9504

Ye be warned: It's my idea based on Linux...not Windows). And one other thing I remembered when setting up the DVD server was that Samba only supports file up to 2GB. Since the DVDs are 4 or 8GB, it's a problem...I haven't worked on this lately (school), but NFS (Network File System) should work with the extra large files, but not sure.

And those new Seagate 750GB 7900.10 series are looking great for this!

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sun, 07 May 2006 19:28:44    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yea, sorta. But I'm not looking into any OS, just general looking.

Odd's are it will be served from a W2003 Server though. Laughing And I'd love to get some of those 750GB drives. But.. the cost is a bit much.

I could get 3 750GB drives in RAID-5 for $1500 or I can get 4 500GB drives in RAID-5 for $1100, both have 1.5TB of storage.
Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sun, 07 May 2006 19:43:14    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well, as far as ripping them, do you have a format chosen that you're going to use? AVI? MPEG? I don't know all the video codecs and junk...I just used the ISOs because it's extremely simple to do and works very well with what I'm using on my desktop at th moment (as far as the program knows, the ISO image is the DVD-ROM, so no extra modifications Smile)

As for the program, Windows or Linux, the same general concept can be done on both - use a database or flat file to store the ripped DVD info, parse it, and there's what's listed with any extras. Select it and it opens that file into whatever program you use in full screen. The hard part would be the programming of that little list thing. I can do it in basic Linux Bourne Again Shell (Bash), but to make a neat looking GUI for Linux or Windows is beyond me.

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sun, 07 May 2006 21:21:14    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

See.. your missing the big point...

KIDS DVD's. Menu's, hopefully with pictures.

Not PLANNING on converting, but if that's the best option I would.
Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sun, 07 May 2006 21:41:33    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

That's also sort of what I mean....a GUI program with whatever you want (pictures, names, naked women, whatever it is you want on there). It'd still generally work the same way, but I know jack about programming on that scale, and even less so with windows, although it's surely possible.
tomato
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Fri, 19 May 2006 15:17:24    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Another possibility is purchasing "CD/DVD Skins", which are basically just a thin layer that you apply to the desired CD/DVD to protect it from damage.... I've seen them in Wal-Mart, but I'm not sure about their effectiveness.... price point was decent if I remember correctly as well.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

thePMG
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Fri, 19 May 2006 16:01:42    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Blue|Fusion wrote:
Wow. that sounds so familiar to http://www.bigbruin.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9504

Ye be warned: It's my idea based on Linux...not Windows). And one other thing I remembered when setting up the DVD server was that Samba only supports file up to 2GB.

I believe thats a limitation of smbfs in the kernel, only when running a server. Smbclient dosen't use smbfs, so reading and writing to a Windows server backend from a Linux HTPC shouldn't be an issue.

I think from what I've read cifsvfs has replaced smbfs, making the 2GB limitation on Samba servers not a problem.

Never tried it, but this looks neat: http://www.mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html

Windows MC is pretty nice, I'll admit, but it does some funky things on my friends HTPC.

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Fri, 19 May 2006 16:53:47    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I tried Knoppmyth. It was cool, but I wanted more than just a TV/Video operating system.

Iit did install easily and looked pretty cool... just a bit limited. For a set top box only, it would be fine.
Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Fri, 19 May 2006 22:15:31    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

thePMG wrote:
Blue|Fusion wrote:

Ye be warned: It's my idea based on Linux...not Windows). And one other thing I remembered when setting up the DVD server was that Samba only supports file up to 2GB.

I believe thats a limitation of smbfs in the kernel, only when running a server. Smbclient dosen't use smbfs, so reading and writing to a Windows server backend from a Linux HTPC shouldn't be an issue.

I think from what I've read cifsvfs has replaced smbfs, making the 2GB limitation on Samba servers not a problem.

Never tried it, but this looks neat: http://www.mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html

Windows MC is pretty nice, I'll admit, but it does some funky things on my friends HTPC.

I did find out smbmount (smbclient) was using smbfs, and after looking around a bit, cifs is the filesystem that replaces that. Once I enabled it in and recompiled the kernel, I added that to the fstab and it ran flawlessly. I also experimented with watching it from a 60GB video iPod. Works with the standard VFAT (FAT16...or 32, I forget which) and when I format the iPod as ext3 Smile .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: