Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Routers
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 00:00:06    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Wow, I didn't know that they went away from Linux OS on the new version, and cut the ram. That sucks.

I have the WRT54GS v1.0, and I bought it specfically becasue I knew it had more RAM than the WRT54G. No real reason, other than I figured it would serve me better down the road... Laughing I don't use it for anything other than wireless. I have the "real" networking gear for the rest of my network.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

edvallie
Put Beer Here

PostPosted: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 09:09:27    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Don't go for D-Link Razz

On another note, I'll have to try third party software on my router, do you notice that much of an improvement over normal firmware?

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:06:25    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

3rd party firmware ad's LOT's of new features!
knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 11:54:35    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I know I'm late on chiming in on this, but Linksys is the way to go..

Up until just recently, I ran a broadband ISP that I designed. Linksys by far has the least amount of issues.

And like mentioned by the Network God above(Cheezy), the 3rd party firmware is the way to go.

On the older units you can run a Linux based OS and do damn near anything that our Cisco 3700 router can in our headend.

I have the WRT54GS v1.0, which has been running nonstop for over a year. ...not a problem. Try to find an older WRT54GS model.. v1.0 to v3.0 if you can..
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 00:03:07    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I've collected a few of these over the years and love them. I usually use DD-WRT for firmware and get the most use out of them in "client" and "client-bridged" mode, but WDS is pretty nice also. I have one more on the ship I work on, so that makes a total of 4 WRT54G(S)'s and one WRT54GX2 (don't even think about getting a GX2, it sucks).

They are essentially mini linux computers and have an lot of uses beyond just simple wireless access,

With 3rd. party firmware, I've noticed slower transfer speeds (anywhere from 1 to 3Mbps, but sometimes the added features are more important. (static dhcp, boosted Tx power, client mode, WDS, even a small http/ftp server, etc..........)

Image034.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  29.89 KB
 Viewed:  356 Time(s)

Image034.jpg

Rated R

PostPosted: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 11:55:15    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

acruxksa wrote:
I've collected a few of these over the years and love them.

Well then if I can't find one, I know where to look. Laughing Laughing Laughing
knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 16:31:26    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Correction, I have a .v1.1 unit.

I'm gonna try DD-WRT v23 out sometime this weekend.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 22:30:17    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Running the 3rd party firmware mentioned above.

Lots of options!! I likey!!
Dakota
Rated R

PostPosted: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 23:37:11    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Looks like the problem is not with my router or modem, it is one of the relay stations from what I understand and should be fixed by next week sometime.. Yea Smile Cool
Magyk
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 12:05:58    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I have been using a Linksys router for some time now. I used to work in a Call center for an ISP and we would get calls for Dlink and Netgear routers dropping the ISP when it was time to renew the lease on the IP. This happens very seldom on a Linksys router and will always be my first choice.

I didnt know about the 3rd party drivers that are available, so i will have to take a look around at whats available after i upgrade to a wireless G network.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: