Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
troubling alarm
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 02:55:32    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Like I said above, you could unplug the speaker, but the system is trying to tell him something is wrong.

Best to find the wrong and fix it.

This is BigBruin, we will help him find the issue and fix it.

(He might end up with a new religion, two new motherboards, a used '73 Vega, and a small dog painted lime green, but we will find a solution to this Alarm issue!!!)
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 10:11:03    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Spire wrote:
(He might end up with a new religion, two new motherboards, a used '73 Vega, and a small dog painted lime green, but we will find a solution to this Alarm issue!!!)

I still haven't figured out what to do with little limey after last time you helped me..... Yikes

Mike, what kind of video card to you have?

And lastly, next time the alarm goes off if you can get the side off your computer while it's going off see if all your fans appear to be spinning the correct speeds.
edvallie
Put Beer Here

PostPosted: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 12:40:54    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Spire wrote:
This is BigBruin, we will help him find the issue and fix it.

Laughing
Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 13:54:21    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Cheeze beat me to it, but that was the path I was going to head down next.

If your CPU fan stops (or slows down considerably) for any reason, you should get an alarm.
Kilamon
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 15:18:20    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

take a photo of your boot screen and post that, a picture of your monitor. Most boot screens nowadays give loads of info that could be helpful here.

Note that you can use the 'pause' button near the numlock key to pause the boot screen(s) so you can take pictures.
miketv
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 19:21:51    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

My video card is a Raedon...i think it's an 8500...the kind w/ a breakout box for RCA/firewire/S-Video ins & outs.

I finally got up the courage to remove the 1st layer of dust from the inside of my tower, using a virgin paintbrush. Looks like it's gonna be an all-day ordeal, requiring different sizes & stiffnesses of brushes, so it'll be a few days before it's CLEAN clean. I'm hoping this helps some. Couldn't hurt, I guess.
WHile dusting, I discovered that one of my fans has a variable switch--high. low, & median. I switched it from low to high. If it's a heat problem, I figure this mght help.

The alarm went off again today, when I had 3 windows open. One was just Yahoo, the other 2 contained PDF's. Does this mean anything? (I've been known to have 7+ windows open at once, usually w/ no problems.)

The fans look like they're all staying on during alarms.

Lastly, about taking a pic of the boot screen...is that the very 1st screen (the one that leads to BIOS if I hit [delete]), or the one after that, right before the windows logo pops on?
Once I hit the [pause] key (or maybe the [print screen] key (I have one of those, too), do I just open a photo editor & paste it in, or what?

Thanks to everyone here who's trying to help. Your patience is incredible, & your advice is priceless. (I'm actually learning stuff!)
miketv
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 19:22:49    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Oh yeah....
I have 2 hard drives, too.
...didn't know if that's important, or not....
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Kilamon
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 20:12:42    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

miketv wrote:
I finally got up the courage to remove the 1st layer of dust from the inside of my tower, using a virgin paintbrush. Looks like it's gonna be an all-day ordeal, requiring different sizes & stiffnesses of brushes, so it'll be a few days before it's CLEAN clean. I'm hoping this helps some. Couldn't hurt, I guess.
WHile dusting, I discovered that one of my fans has a variable switch--high. low, & median. I switched it from low to high. If it's a heat problem, I figure this mght help.
Just use canned air. I read an article recently about using canned air just recently by some schmoe that wasn't too bad. Laughing Use of the brushes can cause a static buildup if you're not using the proper kind of brush in any case. Static charges are bad because what doesn't look like anything to you, looks like Mars Valles Marineris when you compare it to the 65nm fabricated chips, and the motherboard traces can be pretty susceptible. Always be grounded with a grounded case or equalize the static between you and the case by touching (and holding contact throughout your time inside the computer) it before touching the innards.

miketv wrote:
Lastly, about taking a pic of the boot screen...is that the very 1st screen (the one that leads to BIOS if I hit [delete]), or the one after that, right before the windows logo pops on?
Once I hit the [pause] key (or maybe the [print screen] key (I have one of those, too), do I just open a photo editor & paste it in, or what?
Print screen won't work. It used to be that on DOS you could hit that to instantly print your screen to the printer (generally a dot matrix) and if you were really cool, you'd time the text on the screen to the printer and tape that sound to make it the beat of a mix tape. Grin However, enough nostalgia.

Push the pause key at all the screens you feel are relevant, bring the photos to your favorite editor, convert to a jpg smaller than 150k and host it somewhere and post a link to the image. You might be able to use the upload tool here for images but follow the rules for posting pics (I never read them). make sure the text on the screen is readable or otherwise transcribe the text. Those boot screens tell you everything about the computer including bios version, motherboard make, model and chipset as well as memory timings, CPU type and more information that you probably never wanted to know. The most important screen is the one that also has the press del prompt where it counts up the ram, tells you your detected hard drives and etc.
miketv
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sun, 04 Dec 2005 18:20:51    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well, i've tried & tried to get that pic, but all the [pause] key is doing is pausing my boot. [Spacebar] gets it going again.
Since I've turned the fan to high, I haven't had any alarms. So, I guess it IS a heat issue.
I'll keep trying to get that pic, though, anyway. The way this jalopy runs, I'm sure I'll find some new problems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: