Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 6 Rev. 2
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 12:26:05    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

You don't have enough coolers over there already? Laughing
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 12:30:25    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

LOL not for VGA cards...only the Zalman one, which is on the 6600GT's in my second box. I've considered moving that, but then I'd have to mess with the RAM sinks, and don't want to pull those off the BFG since they are stuck on there almost

Usually don't care and deal with the default, but with eVGA the warranty is not voided when you put on a 3rd party HSF (as long as the HSF is designed for that chipset).

So if I can lower the card temp 10+ degrees over the stock 7800GT cooler, can't pass that opportunity up...not to mention the exhaust capabilities Smile
scottyja
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 12:05:36    Post Subject: An additional question to your review Reply with quote View Single Post

Hey, great review and tutorial for installing this thing. I'm picking one up for my video card, and I have a pretty stupid question... I'm hoping you can help me out!

The picture of the package contents (on the first page) shows a diamond shaped object (the back plate) and a black square shaped object (an insulator, I think). The question is about the black square piece. Where does this go? Between the back of the video card and the back plate? I'm kind of new to this and don't want to screw it up. At first I thought maybe between the GPU and the heatsink, but those are supposed to touch flush, right?

I guess I should just buy the card and the cooler and it may make more sense, but I'd like it to make more sense before I fork out the money! Thanks so much for any help!
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 12:23:18    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I believe the piece you're talking about goes between the backplate and the card. If you look closely at this pic, I think you can see the edge of it behind the backplate.

http://www.bigbruin.com/reviews05/nvsilencer6/imageview.php?file=13.jpg
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 12:37:22    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi scottyja - Welcome! Wave

Correct Hellfire, good pic for reference given... But also detailed in text down page 2 a bit:

http://www.bigbruin.com/reviews05/nvsilencer6/index.php?file=2
Asylum
Joshzilla

PostPosted: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 14:08:45    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Thanks for the feedback Scottyja. Both Hellfire and Big Bruin are correct. The rubber disk fits between the metal backplate and the video card. There is actually has a smalled raised circle in the middle of the disk to help line it up with the back plate. Don't forget to use the rubber washers too!!!

scottyja
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 14:15:59    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hey, thanks guys. I didn't even notice that peeking out the side. The install looks simple enough, but some of the reviews of the cooler said the instructions were pretty bad, so I appreciate your review! Wish me luck...
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

scottyja
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sun, 09 Apr 2006 16:38:50    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Dang! I'm installing as we speak and I'm applying the thermal paste and when I squeezed it out it got all on the side (the green board that the cpu is on, where you see the silver bumps). I got it off the best I could, but you can still see the residue... Am I hosed? Did I just toast this thing?
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 00:10:30    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Should be OK. Clean it up really good, and give it a shot. What type of paste is it? If it is the white kind, you are definitely fine... If it is some of the conductive (generally silver) kind, you need to be more careful!
scottyja
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 11:57:42    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yeah, I think I'm safe. The package for my NV Silencer didn't have any paste which annoyed me, and I didn't want to have to deal with the place I ordered it from online (which would delay the install another couple of days), so I just broke down and paid double for the good (silver) stuff at Best Buy.

I cleaned it up with with some isopropyl and it cleaned off pretty well. When I booted it up, no sparks and no smoking... so hopefully I'm in the clear. Thanks for all your help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Cooling All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: