Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
kvm
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HackaX0rus
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 21:38:48    Post Subject: kvm Reply with quote View Single Post

i am looking into getting a 2 port kvm...does anyone have any suggestions on buying them...or better yet an old one they dont want?
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 22:23:29    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

IO Gear's are good, so are Belkin's. There are a few others too... you can get a decent 2 port one with cables now a days for between $20 - $40.
Enforcer
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 15:41:32    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

beware the IOGear 2 port with cabled built in. I had heard reviews stating that once you switch from one computer to another that you could not switch back without turning the first computer off (this unit only uses the keyboard to switch). I bought one thinking that was an isolated case but no, in fact it does cut you off, so it doesn't switch good.

Since then I have been using Belkin both in the home and at work and they are nice. Only prob I noticed is that if you have a MX1000 laser mouse, it won't track properly after you switch back. Any other mice seem to work fine. For myself, I can only speak for the PS2 models, I haven't tried the USB yet.

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 15:46:43    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I have the IOGear USB KVM with the cables built in... It works well when both computers are on, but the problem is if you turn off one computer, the switch sometimes turns off, and you can't see the on computer. Like, it is only getting a power signal from one machine... As long as both PCs are on, it is fine, but I can't figure out the sequence that makes it go nighty-night when you turn just one machine off.
talkster5
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 17:20:16    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I got a brand new one off ebay for £9.99. Works well and does what I need. Came with all the cables and everything as well and does not require an external power cord.
HackaX0rus
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 18:26:04    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

well i need this because i am fixing up an old gateway...and its going to be my download computer...on 24/7 and i dont wanna have to unplug my monitor to see how my downloads are going...
T-shirt
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 18:57:04    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Does the old gateway (and your new computer) have PS/2 or USB ports) I have had problems similar to BB's with USB based KVM's, were the PS/2's have performed flawlessly. )not a big deal if you second computer is next to/nearbyand easily available, a hassle/ pain if it is in a secure room)
You can probably still get PS/2 KVM's dirt cheap (buy 2 as they are going away)
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

HackaX0rus
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 19:13:17    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

yes the gateway is an 1800 athlon and my pc is a 3k athlon its all good...
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 21:59:08    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

You know if you don't need physical access to it you can just hook it up so the bios doesn't stop on errors, and then just Remote Desktop into it.
HackaX0rus
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 02:17:03    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

i was thinkin about that...i know xp has remote desktop what is involved in getting that up and running?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: