Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
About the SLI and adding a new graphics card
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZeroNeo
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 15:50:50    Post Subject: About the SLI and adding a new graphics card Reply with quote View Single Post

Right now i have a Gigabyte 6600GT graphics card in my computer, I was thinking to upgrade it by adding another graphics card.
I know they have to be exactly the same, but what i'm not sure if the really have to be EXACTLY the same in terms of manufacter.
Could i add a XFX 6600GT for example? or it really have to be another gigabyte 6600GT?
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

reptilezs
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 17:10:22    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

http://www.hwspirit.com/reviews.php?read=18&page=3 that faq recomends that you use an identical card
humanZOO
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 01:17:43    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

As long as the manufacturer follows the "reference design", you should be able to buy a card from any manufacturer as your second card.
unholy
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 03:03:57    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

The card must be able to commuicate with the other therefore if Gigabytes cards uses the Same Firmware as The XFX cards u should have no problem, but on the other chance u will probably get the best performance from the identical cards, cause they response the same way, the same speed and run at the exactly the same Rendering engines.

Gigabyte Twins would be better just like u would run Corsairs TwinX's together, seem similair?

Specs,
AMD Athlon 64 (Winchester) 3000+
Mushkin 512 PC3200 CAS 222 Level 2 V2 or
OCZ EL DDR GOld VX (2x512) 2-3-3-8 @ normal, and 2-2-2-8 @ v3.2
GA-K8N Ultra SLi
GA-x600pro (128mb)
a piece of crap hdd
ZeroNeo
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:35:35    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

So, i guess i'll buy another gigabyte 6600GT, if i am going to spend another £125 in a card i will be looking for the best performance i could get for that.
Thank you all the answers.
dfu
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 17:35:02    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

think they both have to be exactly the same. even manufacturer. even if there is a small difference that wil mess it up and wont work corectly. cant wait till i can aford to build a new system so i can go back to sli...
unholy
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 17:54:19    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

The thing is u normally get a SLi pack when u get two cards at the same time, don't forget to get SLi cards otherwise ur screwed :|

And do u normal buy twinx ram seperatly? Dual channel works similair to SLi, just the chips need to be same in size, and if there same in lantecny BONUS!

Specs,
GA-K8N Ultra SLi
GA-x600pro (128mb)
a piece of crap hdd
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

desolatax
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:02:50    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

im pretty sure that you have to use the same model of card...
unholy
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 09:37:12    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

u don't have to, the revision does't mean they changed the SLi connection interface, they may have changed the board layout, or maybe even some bugs on the firmware leading to rendering in SLi mode, The cards do or should be the same brand, this helps u not waste your moey, and uf u have conflicts see if u can replace your older card... thats the only solution to not buying 2 SLi's at once...

Specs,
GA-K8N Ultra SLi
GA-x600pro (128mb)
a piece of crap hdd
Awoken
Rated PG

PostPosted: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 15:55:27    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Firmware and device ID must match up so it's best to buy from a store with a good rma policy just in case.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: