Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Vista SP1 vs. SP2
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zachig
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sun, 31 May 2009 15:59:46    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

fatbastard wrote:
that is what I am afraid of...it shows all the install points for the Lexmark software and stuff and SP2 but that is as far back as it goes. I know it made a restore point before installing but I guess it only keeps the last ten or so.

I don't mean to upset you, but did you hear about Image Backup? Seriously, the next time you do a major installation (either Service Pack, drivers package, massive Software/Application/Game installation), do an Image Backup in advance (using either Norton Ghost, Acronis True Image, and/or any other backup software) so in case something goes wrong, you can ALWAYS go back to the point where you did your backup. That's what I usually do. Wink

Just my 2 cents... Smile

But in your case, I say, don't give up on SP2, just not yet. I'm pretty sure you'll be able to solve you problems eventually and still keep your SP2 installation... Rolling Eyes

Like you said, if you've got the time and patience, just try to re-install the whole OS from scratch and then try SP2 again.

Don't forget you need have SP1 already installed prior to SP2 installation and don't forget to do an image backup right after SP1 and BEFORE SP2... Grin

OH...and in case you still want to mess with the Sidebar to try and have it fixed, try these offered solutions:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/963010
http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/235/1/How-to-restore-the-default-Windows-Sidebar-gadgets.html
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/161046-windows-sidebar-gadget-not-displayed-correctly.html
http://azowebsphere.blogspot.com/2009/05/how-to-restore-windows-vista-sidebar.html

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P Motherboard
OCZ Gold PC2-6400 DDR2 800MHz 2x2048MB @5-5-5-15-2T
Zotac GTX275 @713/1512/1260
2x250GB WD H.D in RAID 0
Mushkin 650W PSU
Viewsonic 22" VX2235WM LCD
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

fatbastard
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Sun, 31 May 2009 20:32:55    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well to be honest I wanted to do an image but since I made an image of the machine before the reinstall of windows I didn't have enough storage space for another image.....keeping fingers crossed for that NAS BB is giving away.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sun, 31 May 2009 21:27:01    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

YEa, I got SP2 on 2 different systems right now and it's running great. One was the new laptop that's really a fresh build. The other is my 6 - 9 month old desktop.

No problems on anything yet.
zachig
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 01:18:01    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

fatbastard wrote:
Well to be honest I wanted to do an image but since I made an image of the machine before the reinstall of windows I didn't have enough storage space for another image.....keeping fingers crossed for that NAS BB is giving away.

Yeah...That's why I'm already using an external Seagate FreeAgent Go 320GB, mainly for that purpose.

But...of course with a NAS BB, it'll be easier...and faster. Grin

2x250GB WD H.D in RAID 0
Mushkin 650W PSU
Digerati
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 01:35:38    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I installed SP2 yesterday, and I noticed a slight preformance increase - though it's probably because of the format. I did face some issues with the Vista update: it installed the updates, then could not finish the installation during bootup and restarted for 4-5 times, before giving up (i.e. it didn't install the updates). I then tried update by update and it worked for some reason. Hope they fix this.
fatbastard
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 06:03:17    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Damn it....I just got a series of pops then a windows pop up saying a host service had to be closed. I was hhoping I wouldn't have to blow this thing out but I don't know if I will ever fell good about unless I do a fresh install. This time I will get images on the way up...might just have to use some network space at work Smile
zachig
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 06:43:20    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

fatbastard wrote:
Damn it....I just got a series of pops then a windows pop up saying a host service had to be closed. I was hhoping I wouldn't have to blow this thing out but I don't know if I will ever fell good about unless I do a fresh install. This time I will get images on the way up...might just have to use some network space at work Smile

What now??? I'm sorry you're having bad time with your PC/OS. I think it's really about time for you to format ad reinstall everything. Rolling Eyes That's always works! Grin

2x250GB WD H.D in RAID 0
Mushkin 650W PSU
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Bojamijams
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 10:53:01    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'll give a bit of advice in re: service packs

NEVER EVER EVER EVER SWITCH TO THEM UNTIL AT LEAST TWO MONTHS HAVE PASSED.

Let others be the guinea pigs. There will always be huge issues that will need hot fixes and will cause your hair to fall out while you deal with new s#!7 that others haven't encountered yet and thus don't have any usefull tips for you yet.

Especially in the case of SP2, there is nothing there that 99% of users should need. Keep up with hotfixes through windows update, and thats all you need.
fatbastard
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 10:42:31    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well an update for everyone...if you care. I reinstalled the OS and did all the updates up to SP2. Everything was running great. Then I installed SolidWorks SP2.1 and again things seemed great and stable. So last night I installed SW SP3 and now it has gone to crap. Sometimes I can open an assembly sometimes not, sometimes I can click on the open folder icon others not. It is definitley something in SW that is causing the windows pop up message retention but I am not hearing the popping/crackling as much as before. It is present more than in SW SP2.1 though. It is really strange since SW just becomes unresponsive but isn't tasking the CPU...often I am running 5% on the CPU at the lowest multiplier and when it is unresponsive I can still use every other program normally. Ugh...hoping our vendor can help me out on this.
zachig
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 11:00:17    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

fatbastard wrote:
Well an update for everyone...if you care. I reinstalled the OS and did all the updates up to SP2. Everything was running great. Then I installed SolidWorks SP2.1 and again things seemed great and stable. So last night I installed SW SP3 and now it has gone to crap. Sometimes I can open an assembly sometimes not, sometimes I can click on the open folder icon others not. It is definitley something in SW that is causing the windows pop up message retention but I am not hearing the popping/crackling as much as before. It is present more than in SW SP2.1 though. It is really strange since SW just becomes unresponsive but isn't tasking the CPU...often I am running 5% on the CPU at the lowest multiplier and when it is unresponsive I can still use every other program normally. Ugh...hoping our vendor can help me out on this.

So...It wasn't Vista SP2 afterall...

Try also contacting directly SW customer support. Maybe they'll able to help you...

Hope you'll get Solidworks to work with SP3 without all this headache... Wink

GOOD LUCK. Wave

2x250GB WD H.D in RAID 0
Mushkin 650W PSU
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: