Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Speaker Wiring
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Consumer Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
s1ck psycho
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Sun, 03 May 2009 20:17:53    Post Subject: Speaker Wiring Reply with quote View Single Post

Hey, i recently bought a new svs system but didnt buy the cables from them, only because it was a fast descion, but now i need some new cables, should i just buy 5 of theirs for my 5.1 system, or buy somewhere else, i am looking for bannana connectors btw.

So please reccommend some cables and thanks.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Sun, 03 May 2009 20:26:33    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

s1ck psycho
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Sun, 03 May 2009 20:56:51    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

so i just pick up the 300ft and cut it up for 5 different speakers with the length i need, and then screw on the bannana connects?
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023901&p_id=2790&seq=1&format=2
s1ck psycho
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Sun, 03 May 2009 21:23:30    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

so i am new to all this wiring, can i just pick up this- http://www.shopallmonster.com/Nav/Monster/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=20602&pid=20602&pin=43&id=nopLuSOPbutKBw=
and cut it up for 5 speakers and use bannana connects as well as it have work as well as svs's or monoprices.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sun, 03 May 2009 21:33:39    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yeah - cut your own (with a good wire cutter / stripper) and add the connectors yourself. Monoprice is hard to beat, and I am one to think Monster is over rated and over priced.
s1ck psycho
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Sun, 03 May 2009 21:44:43    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Jason wrote:
Yeah - cut your own (with a good wire cutter / stripper) and add the connectors yourself. Monoprice is hard to beat, and I am one to think Monster is over rated and over priced.

sweet that clears up so many problems, and well i was thinking monster or this- http://store.audioholics.com/product/404/116/velocity-100ft-12awg-speaker-cable
and will you guys please explain how bannna plugs and spades work, and wether they should be on both ends.etc
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Sun, 03 May 2009 22:46:52    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Banana plugs and spades just make it easier to connect the wires to your speakers and receiver. You don't really need them to get things working, but they do make life a lot easier, especially when connecting a 5.1 or 7.1 system to the back of your receiver. The banana plugs simply plug into the speaker connectors, while the spade connectors are screwed down. The spade connectors would be more secure, but I really haven't had any issues with banana plugs, although they do tend to stick out a bit from the back of some speakers preventing them from being installed right up against a wall. Spades would be more secure and probably have a lower profile, but are also more time consuming to install. Spade connectors would probably be a good choice for the back of the receiver, especially if it is installed somewhere that's not easy to get to.
Boo Boo

s1ck psycho
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Mon, 04 May 2009 00:56:08    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Thanks so is there any site giving a step by step procedure for it. And out of the monster and impact cables which one should I get. Also which bananna plugs and should I get them for both ends?
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Mon, 04 May 2009 02:26:27    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

There was nothing wrong with the cable you mentioned from monoprice, but the impact cable looks reasonable as well. Monster is overpriced.

Get banana plugs for both ends, but make sure you will have several inches of free space behind you receiver. You also don't want to be moving the receiver around because the banana plugs stick out and could be damaged or bent. Also, unless you're into soldering, make sure you get plugs with screw connections. they are simple to use, just strip about a half inch of insulation off the speaker wire and run t through the end of the banana plug and tighten the set screw. Make sure you get the polarity right though.

Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Tue, 05 May 2009 22:42:50    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

thanks so much you saved me 400 dollars over taking my own cables vs buying from svs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Consumer Electronics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: