Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Ubuntu Desktop 8.04
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 14:49:05    Post Subject: Ubuntu Desktop 8.04 Reply with quote View Single Post

I've had very limited time with any Linux disto, and a few guys I work with has been asking me about Ubuntu, which I see has a new release.

One of the main questions (other than what apps they can get to repalce their current apps), is whether you can easily share your folders with Windows XP and Vista users. I imagine you can, but just never know...
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

sbrehm72255
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 18:31:25    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yup, its just as easy as Windows, if not maybe a little easier to setup, just the files though, no apps.......Wink
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 20:19:05    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

It's easy to set up SAMBA shares in most flavors of *nix
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 20:53:15    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I have more trouble getting shared folders and workgroups working on Vista than I ever did with Linux/WinXP/win2000. As stated above, SAMBA is fairly easy to get up and running, if you have any problems there are a plethora of very good guides out there.

What windows apps are you looking to replace?

Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 21:01:23    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Not a clue on all his apps.

The ones I've seen him use are:
PowerDVD
Windows Media Player
Newsbin (news group reader)

And other misc video conversion tools like divx, dvd shrink, some mp4 video converter, and some others that I can't/shouldn't mention here...
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 23:27:53    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

You should be able to find replacements for everything you listed above, so no trouble there. The biggest thing is that unless he's familiar with linux he will have a bit of a learning curve ahead of him to learn how to use the replacements. They've gotten easier to use over the years, but many times linux's problem is that they have tended to lean toward the power user and ease of use was an after thought. It's changing rapidly though.
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 23:32:26    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well he got Unbuntu installed and said so far it's nice for what he needs. Is trying to learn things.

Biggest complaint so far is that the default video player sucks. Videos are fairly pixelated. I've told him to make sure he's got the latest video driver, so he's trying to track down how to update that now LOL

What video player do you Linux experts recommend?
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Thu, 01 May 2008 00:04:34    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Mplayer
*hick*

PostPosted: Thu, 01 May 2008 10:35:50    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yea, doing updates can be a real PITA under *nix. I haven't used Ubuntu but I believe it supports some form of RPM's. So as long as all the app's come in a RPM than it's much easier (closer to Windows then).

But like Acruxksa said... Linux leans towards supporting power users, makes it much harder for the Windows crowd to make the move. To be honest, biggest reason I haven't made the move (well that and gaming). I don't want to spend all my time tweaking, and re-compiling, etc, I just want to use my system. But it is getting better now.
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 01 May 2008 11:20:03    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I think he's about to go back to Vista. I think the headaches from just updating his video driver is driving him up the wall already.

But he did say he likes some of what he's seen. I'm thinking there's more to his dislikes than there are likes...

Had three complaints last night...

Firefox - wants tabs like he has in IE 7
Video Player (couldn't remember the one he was using, but was set up by default) - Video was pixelated (told him to update drivers)
Updating Drivers - Couldn't find out what drivers are installed easily, and was a pain to update the drivers.

That's pretty much all he said he did from about 6 to midnight...well, along with calling and complaining/asking me questions...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: