Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Asus P5W DH and Vista argh!
Go To Page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr_Pentium
Rated R

PostPosted: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 09:25:32    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

T-shirt wrote:
DID you run the "Vista- compatible" check utility BEFORE you tried to install?
VistA actaully has more approved drivers at release than XP did.
However it it's something it doesn't like it will never install.
the "Vista- compatible" check utility is very good at letting you know not to try.

I did run the chk it had no problems other than my built in wireless card, and a tv tuner card i had..

I physically uninstalled every card in the computer X-fi and tv tuner hoping that it would instal, i tried removing ever optical drive, i even went out and bought a new burner nothing worked..

I have given up and am now back on win xp Grin

Asus products are good quality i have had no problem, but yes the support does suck. I dont think Asus tech's even bother to check their own forums.

Here's hoping the next few months will allow the board to live up to its vista compatible name lol

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Gordon
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 21:32:44    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi Mr Pentium, I came across your post when searching for solutions to the same problem.

I'm in the same boat with the same motherboard and have been scratching my head for a couple of months now - as an MSDN subscriber, I've had a head-start of a few weeks with Vista.

I have however found a couple of solutions which might prove handy.

Like you, my install paused for long periods, then gave up about halfway. I eventually figured out this was because I was using a parallel ATA DVD drive and that the P5W's parallel ATA ports are supported by a Jmicron controller and not the main Intel chipset.

The first solution then is to use a DVD drive connected to a different controller which is supported by Vista. I used an external DVD drive connected to the USB port with no problem, and believe SATA DVD drives should also work.

Once installed, I provided Vista with the Jmicron drivers (which didn't seem to work mid-way through the install), and it then saw and supported the internal drive.

Job done, but I really wanted to install Vista with the internal DVD drive. I managed in the end with two fixes. First I updated the Biops to the latest version, which includes an update to the Jmicron controller. Secondly I connected the drive to the secondary parallel ATA port on the P5W which is hidden at the bottom near the last PCI slot.

Again there were long pauses, but the install completed, and it didn't even need the Jmicron drivers at the end.

I'm still not 100% happy about the fixes, but at least it seems to work now, and there's a Vista driver for the wireless on the Asus website.

I'm afraid I may not have time to check back on this forum to see how you get on, but I hope it helps!

Gordon Laing, Editor
www.cameralabs.com
edvallie
Put Beer Here

PostPosted: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 17:01:06    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I think I found your problem.

It's 5 letters, starts with a 'V' and rhymes with Vista.

mrweasel
I can haz cheezbrgr?

PostPosted: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 17:39:02    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

highonv8splash wrote:
I think I found your problem.

It's 5 letters, starts with a 'V' and rhymes with Vista.

Confused

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: