Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
NAS
Go To Page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 00:21:36    Post Subject: NAS Reply with quote View Single Post

After reading the review on the NAS I was wondering if anyone has any other experience with these.

I would like to have an SATA 2 NAS with Gigalan.

If it would hold more than one drive, that would make me even happier.

I have googled and found some that fit almost all of the criteria, but not all. (unless you spend BIG bucks).

Anyone run across a particularly good NAS?

I would consider spending $300 for the right device.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 01:12:38    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

http://www.bigbruin.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10537

Confused

SATA, multiple discs with RAID capability, and 1 Gbps port.

Remember seeing them at CES? Should be available for review sometime soon... Wink
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 01:28:09    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yea, that one definetly looks VERY nice....might be looking into it once it's released.

Seems NAS devices are one of the new hot items for homes now.
martz
Rated R

PostPosted: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 02:10:48    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I think Thecus do something similar, but it's maybe not quite as trick......

I have an argosy hd363n at home ... nowhere near the same league (single drive, ftp & samba server), but it's very useful for file sharing functionality and DR to an extent. It's also small and silent which suits my "minimalist" kit requirements.

Nice .... but i bet it costs more than some fileservers do Smile
Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 11:15:32    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yea, very nice!

Any idea how many first borns Thermaltake is going to want for one of these?

Might have to start saving my pennies for the some day release.

Doesn't say if it has an FTP server onboard either.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 12:07:31    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Thermaltake's older version of the Muse NAS has SMB and FTP... I think this one must! Specs say:

"Network File Protocol CIFS/ NFS/ HTTP/ FTP"

Grin
Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 12:12:23    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

If you really want with your own specs, buy a barebones PC, add some large harddrives, install a server-oriented Linux distro, install Samba, NFS, and an FTP server of your choice and you're golden.

By the way, you can save a lot of money by getting a crappy CPU. A 350MHz Celeron with 128MB RAM is working out great for me in an old Crapaq. Serving content from the harddrive doesn't require much CPU Smile .

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 12:31:14    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Thats currently what I am doing with a 1700+ xp on an old mATX board and a bunch of 80 gig drives.

However, the wife and I are trying to return the dining room to more of a dining room and not have 3 PC's and a server sitting out.
I have wires and switches and routers and all kinds of crap strewn about and its getting out of hand (even by my standards)

A NAS would work out much better for my particular arrangement.
knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 12:43:45    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I agree with BLue Fusion. really old machines make great file storage units.

My current LAN file server is a <600mhz celly. I'm running WinXP Pro though instead of Linux.

Nice thing about the old celly's, you can slap on together, install OS and software, then put it in a closet with LAN & power and forget about it.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 13:35:34    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I just threw together an old machine from scraps... Duron 1GHz, 256MB memory, floppy, zip, CDRW, and a 17GB drive. Oh, and an add in PCI IDE adaptor. All running CentOS 4.3 with the server features installed.

I don't trust the hard drive, 6 years old, and was thinking of trying a live CD. How hard is it to configure a live CD to hold the basics of server configurations? Would I need a thumb drive or hard drive for settings anyway? I thought it would be cool to have it boot from CD, and only have hard drives for file storage/sharing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: