Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
HDTV Questions
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Consumer Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 20:58:18    Post Subject: HDTV Questions Reply with quote View Single Post

I know we have had threads about this before, but here is my question.

It looks like I can get either a 42" LCD or a 50" plasma for about the same price. I will be sitting about 10 feet from the screen.

What to do?

http://www.sceptre.com/Products/LCD/Specifications/spec_X42GV-Naga.htm

This one here is a 1080p 42" LCD from Sceptre and I can get it for 1799.00 at Costco. Any comments? Not sure if I even need 1080p for the sources I have, but why not. Also unsure about the seperate box for connections...

Last edited by Spire on Sat, 22 Jul 2006 21:38:56; edited 1 time in total
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 21:37:55    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

What about this bad boy, 47" LCD 1080p but no tuner (which I dont THINK I need with comcast HD DVR box) - $2399.00

OR ??? I figure I have about 2500.00 to spend.

edit - forgot the link

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4109408

Last edited by Spire on Sat, 22 Jul 2006 23:55:58; edited 1 time in total
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 23:12:45    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Personally I'd go LCD. Plasma's can get burn in, and their life span isn't as long.

Also consider DLP.. (I would probably still go for LCD, but you might get more bang for your buck on DLP).
Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 23:54:13    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I want to hang this on the wall, our living room really needs all the space it can get.

Hence DLP is out, otherwise I would have not evne considered the other two.

Some further reading tells me that I really am not far enough back from a 50" as to not see the pixelation.

So that means 42" or maybe a touch bigger is fine and that puts me into the LCD price range.
Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 01:15:04    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

After reading all day long, I think I am going to go with one of these:

A quote from Here

"With a new dealer price of sub $2400 the for the new TH-42PHD8UK it is the best buy in the HDTV market. I think it is the best buy in the high definition TV market – period including LCD, CRT, DLP - everything."

This is a professional Plasma screen brought to the consumer level product, removable and replaceable input cards and a half life of 60,000 hours and almost no burn-in.

Comments???

Oh and Costco
has this unit for $2199.00 !!

EDIT - How about 1981.00 shipped to my door!!!

http://www.plasmahouse.com/PANASONIC-TH-42PHD8UK-PLASMA-TV/TH42PHD8UK.HTML

Anyone (after reading the review link) see a reason why I shouldn't do this?
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 07:58:59    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I might go with Costco anyway, since you don't have to worry about what will happen on a "free" ride from NYC to California... And due to the extremely generous return program at Costco.

Reseller Rating isn't terrible for that place, but not glowing, either, with customer service being the worst part...

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2974.html
Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 09:56:38    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Some late night shopping has me leaning toward Visual Apex if Costco fails.

Most of the folks on the pricegrabber reviews went with them with fantastic results. And they are in Washington. High 4.9 reseller rating

Visual Apex seems to have the newest version too, the 9th generation TH42PD9uk for a good price!!!

http://www.visualapex.com/plasma/Plasma_details.asp?chPartNumber=TH-42PH9UK&MFR=Panasonic&SE=Pgrabber&KW=th42phd8UK
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 11:14:26    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Costco, with out question.

Its a lot of money, and I'd feel much more comfortable spending it at a known place like Costco over anyone. Bring in the web price, Costco *MIGHT* match or give you some $$ off.
Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 11:58:41    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I agree completely, too bad Costco doesn't stock this commercial monitor in stores.

I guess I'll have to order it.

Final question - I do not need an onboard HDTV tuner if I plan on using my comcast HD DVR through a receiver? The receiver has component in and outs and upconverts everything else to component.

Seems to me that all I need is a monitor with component input (which this Panasonic is.)

I havent used a TV to tune anything in 15 years so why do I need a tuner onboard, right?.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 12:05:56    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

right. I didn't look at the specs, but many of these onboard tuners are for over the air HD... the ones for cable HD may not be compatible with your provider, anyway. External tuner from your cable company is the way to go (and is what I use on mine).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Consumer Electronics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: