Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Linux desktop access from Windows
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 18:36:07    Post Subject: Linux desktop access from Windows Reply with quote View Single Post

I want something like VNC, but that it allows me to control a Linux PC from a Windows XP machine. I use Ultra VNC in my house now and that is all I really need for the Windows machines, but what can I do to control Linux computers graphically?

Thanks.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 18:50:35    Post Subject: Re: Linux desktop access from Windows Reply with quote View Single Post

Big Bruin wrote:
what can I do to control Linux computers graphically?Thanks.

haha go post that in a linux forum and you'll be mocked...there isnt anything you cant do from a terminal...actually graphically you can do LESS.

can you say microsoft's complete opposite?
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 19:24:20    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

ummm... was there and answer somewhere in there? Laughing

I don't want a terminal... I do fairly well with that kind of stuff considering alot of the server maintenance for the site requires it. But, I want something graphical for home network use... Grin
Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 19:37:50    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I never tried it, but this may be a step in the right direction...
http://x.cygwin.com/

It'll technically be X-over-SSH (which is much more secure than Remote Desktop Connection). You'll need to configure your X server to listen for incoming TCP requests and not just service localhost.

DragonMaster
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Sat, 01 Jul 2006 00:31:12    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

In fact, you can login on your Linux machine thru network, so you've got control on it.
Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sat, 01 Jul 2006 01:05:28    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

DragonMaster wrote:
In fact, you can login on your Linux machine thru network, so you've got control on it.

Everyone knows that. Linux/UNIX was made to be multi-user system, unlike Windows. Smile The question is not remote access such as SSH, but a remote desktop-like method of access.

Also, BB, VNC would work, however X limits the choice of VNC clients. Your best bet for VNC would probably be http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/DTG/attarchive/vnc/xvnc.html . This takes all the builtin secure features of SSH/X terminal, however.
thePMG
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sun, 02 Jul 2006 13:28:15    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

http://yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/VNC.html
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sun, 02 Jul 2006 13:42:10    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

That seems to be the reverse of what BB needs. Remote Desktop Connecion would be better than VNC if connecting Linux -> Windows, anyway, IMHO.
thePMG
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 00:34:48    Post Subject: Re: Linux desktop access from Windows Reply with quote View Single Post

Big Bruin wrote:
but what can I do to control Linux computers graphically?

I'm pretty sure he's going Windows>Linux.

DragonMaster
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 00:56:19    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

VNC can work both ways so I don't see the problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: