Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Ethernet ?
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big B
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 20:02:18    Post Subject: Ethernet ? Reply with quote View Single Post

I have onboard ethernet (plug for cable).Ok I just looked at the back of the pc and the top of the plug area is flashing a yellow orange color and the bottom half is a solid green color. Does that mean i have something wrong or anything like that? I dont think it has never flashed a yellow orange color like this before.

Hope some one knows what im trying to say

Take half of the plug for the ethernet connector the top half is flashing orange/yellow and the bottom half is green with no flashing, and i dont recall the top of it flashing like this before which leads me to think i may have a problem but im not sure, that why i posting
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 20:06:57    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

One is a link light (solid) other is a traffic light (blinking) it's normal. If the blinking blinks different color it probably indicated a colision, i.e. your running at 1/2 duplex instead of full duplex (think speaker phone... 1/2 duplex is when you and only talk or listen at one time, full is when you can talk and listen at the same time)
Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 20:07:53    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

does your internet still work? if so looks like nothing wrong

most likely they are blinking for activity over your line...and steady lights for active connection. try unplugging the end to router/switch/modem and see what the lights do Smile
Big B
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 20:32:03    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Its on back of the pc that is flashing, i know that the one on the modem flashes, which it is, i can view web pages great and msn chat etc

Only problem im having is when im playing online games My ping will be normal (around 30 or so) and then out of no where it starts going up well past 300 sometimes then it will go back to around 50 or and then start going up. which really makes the game unplayable

IS there a fix or anything?

thanks

Dr. EvilCheeze i think your right, but im not sure how to fix it, if there is a fix

Heres a pic of what im trying to say.
http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/1294/cableplug5di.jpg

Where you plug in the ethernet cable to the back of the pc the top half is flashing and the bottom is all green

Last edited by Big B on Thu, 29 Jun 2006 20:40:04; edited 1 time in total
Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 20:39:35    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

hmm, maybe spyware chatting with its servers?
Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 20:40:08    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

The lights are normal. The ping issue is most likely out of your control (server or network between your house and the server issue). And 300ms shouldn't make the game that unplayable - I played games like America's Army on dialup at 300ms for years...and still won Smile
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 20:54:11    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Laughing Of course I'm right. Grin Drivers auto set to Auto Negotiate, and more often than not they don't work right.

Collisions would cause a lot of problems during gaming (lost packets, and then retransmits, then lost packets, etc...)

For setting it... depends on a few things. For one what type of Router/Switch do you have. Most LIKELY it supports Full Duplex, but maybe not.

What you want to do is go into your NIC driver and hard set the Speed/Duplex from there. If you have a Gig Switch/Router and a Gig NIC set it to 1000/Full, otherwise set it to 100/Full.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Kilamon
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 20:57:43    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

EC is right; the blinking and flashing is perfectly normal; there is no fix, it is working as intended.

As for your ping times, that's part of the problem with playing any game on the internet. Abnormalities may be caused by a router on the internetwork to be changed, a faulty cable, weather in Arkansas/California/whereever or even a shark. So I advise you to be patient and if you're using AOL, get off of it.
Big B
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 21:25:24    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I have no Router just cable line to modem, modem to pc, I may know the problem, I think my cable from modem to pc is broke,.faulty etc, Going to buy a new one and see if that helps.,

Thanks
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 21:27:31    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I don't think there is anything to fix, honestly.

Maybe you just need to optimize with something like DR TCP.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: