Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
250 vs. 500 gig HDD
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dakota
Rated R

PostPosted: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 20:19:33    Post Subject: 250 vs. 500 gig HDD Reply with quote View Single Post

I know that I can get a 500 gig HDD for about the same price as a 250 gig HDD. Would the 500 be as stable and as long lasting as the 250? This will be a SATA drive.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 20:23:54    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Sure... Check to see if one or the other you are considering uses perpendicular recording... that is what you want. Should both be one platter at that size, so identical inside and out.
Dakota
Rated R

PostPosted: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 20:57:03    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Thanks, was just wondering because of the difference in size at the same prices.
Puddin
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 23:22:54    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

i run nothign but western digitals, have had 10mbs hds up to the 1Tbs.

personally i still have a 40 gig running thats been in 6 different computers and 3 ppls hands and is grandfatehred into a friend's little bros computer.

As long as the hd has air flow over it, and its a western digital... it has worked for me. No matter the size.

The big thing is the 10,000 RPM hds. They run hotter so the life of them is a bit shorter i do believe.

*hick*

PostPosted: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 01:25:00    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Had horrible luck with WD's. Still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Good luck with Seagates, only 1 failed on me ever. But I've heard mixed reviews lately... of course I'm hearing that about almost every drive manufacture right now.
Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 03:32:53    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I have had about all of them and I think only one 80 gig Hitachi has ever failed me. I off them because they are too small long before they die.

I make sure EVERYTHING that is irreplaceable is backed up to a few different places.

All the pictures I have ever taken are not only on my server (mirror RAID) and a 500 gig portable, but also burned onto 2 sets of DVD's, one stored in the fire rated gun safe at home and one set stored in a safe at work. If this doesn't allow me to at least have a backup when Armageddon or Zombie attack hits, then I didn't need those memories after all.

I spent some time thinking hard about what is REALLY IMPORTANT and IRREPLACEABLE. The only thing that really mattered was pictures and video of my family and the kids growing up.

The rest was considered as a mere inconvenience.
pnorten462
Rated PG

PostPosted: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 06:04:47    Post Subject: Re:250 vs. 500 gig HDD Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi Dakota,
Ya, sure because i have 500 gig SATA drive and it's working fine.

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

borschtBomber[SS]
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 10:38:05    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I've had Maxtor and Western Digital drives in the past and honestly ran into more problems with WD drives. However my brother swears by WD, so I think everyone will have a different opinion on different drives depending on their experience.

I think you are safe with just about any manufacturer you go with. I run a 1TB Seagate drive now and its been golden so far. good luck

Dakota
Rated R

PostPosted: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 10:46:59    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Thanks guys, I have ordered a 500 Gig Seagate with Perpendicular recording.
djw746
Rated R

PostPosted: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 13:22:51    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

consider the seagate 12 generation 500 gig and 1 TB
On top of being much faster, these are probably rock stable and have been tested HARD by reviewers so far (on accounts of their 11 gen fiasco). All with positive reviews.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: