Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
nForce2 Ultra 400?!?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 20:57:30    Post Subject: nForce2 Ultra 400?!? Reply with quote View Single Post

What do these do better than an nForce2?

Since my Asus A7N8X may be dead, I was going to pick one of these boards! Cheap is key for right now...

Maybe the Shuttle on this page:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=property&DEPA=1

Although... I could use RAID, since I have 2 more 40 GB drives coming (free)... that would give me 4x40GB Maxtor ATA-133's that would be crying out for RAID!!
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

IceNine
*The Freshest*

PostPosted: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 21:10:47    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

The FSB is a bit faster, and you can use faster RAM etc. I have an MSI Nforce2 Ultra 400 board and it is *fast*. It's way better than VIA right now.

Quote:
FROM THE NVIDIA WEBSITE:
The NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 incorporates dual 400MHz DDR controllers, delivering twice the bandwidth of typical DDR chipsets, an optimized 128-bit architecture, and 400MHz frontside bus (FSB) support for unparalleled performance. The NVIDIA nForce2 400 relies on a single 64-bit memory channel to deliver 400 MHz FSB and 400MHz DDR performance to the mainstream.

Also: Dead link.

A letter to a soldier
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 21:14:25    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

OK... So Ultra is dual channel, non ultra is single channel... Cool! I may get that Shuttle... Could make a good review item, never seen it covered... better not suck!! Laughing
IceNine
*The Freshest*

PostPosted: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 21:14:46    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 21:16:06    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hmmm... the link was good... It was to a list of Ultra 400 boards... here is a link to the Shuttle only:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?description=13-150-045
trekrider
Feeling: Prehistoric

PostPosted: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 21:26:02    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I understand a budget, but I hope Shuttle turns out better than this ECI is have here!
IceNine
*The Freshest*

PostPosted: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 21:28:58    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Quote:
The Shuttle has finished near the bottom in most of our gaming benchmarks. Bottom doesn't mean slow in this case. We've said it before and we'll say it again; one cannot tell the difference between the fastest and slowest in the majority of benchmarks. We can further say that the Shuttle AN35N is generally slower than the comparison EPoX due to the lack of low latency timings. We really do hope Shuttle manage to resolve this issue.

Shuttle usually impress us with stability. We've not yet had a single Shuttle product through the labs. that hasn't booted and operated first time. It's also a little difficult to define who Shuttle are. We've seen many boards come and go, and it seems that Shuttle are a hybrid of ABIT and EPoX boards. The BIOSes are remarkably similar, the layout of components is startlingly similar at times, and one just gets the feeling that you could slap an EPoX or ABIT sticker on any Shuttle board. That's not a criticism of their products, rather it's an endorsement of just how highly regarded they are.

So many times in the past we've been disappointed by manufacturers who specify all kinds of features and then let themselves down by providing a barren bundle. Shuttle are culprits here. Sure, they want to produce cheap boards, everyone is concerned about cost. Why not add in a bracket or two to maximise your board's usage ?. That question seems to fall on deaf ears.

Bar the odd latency issue, the AN35N is another solid if unexciting board. The trouble for Shuttle is that most of the major players have excellent boards already, so a 'lesser known' manufacturer has to work that much harder to establish themselves amongst the usual suspects. The AN35N is much like an accountant; it's dependable and a little boring.

Hexus gave it a 7/10

A letter to a soldier
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: