Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Booting from RAID
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 12:01:33    Post Subject: Booting from RAID Reply with quote View Single Post

OK, have the drives cloned, but now can't get the RAID array to boot, even though everything seems good to go...

I copied my c, d, and e drives to raid and the letters are presently x, y, and z... x being the os partition.

The raid card BIOS shows the array as being bootable, but I don't think my mainboard bios is seeing it... I have tried disconnecting all the onboard ide connections so only the raid array is attached, it sees the raid array, but then just sits there saying disk error... I even told the mainboard bios to boot from "other", "scsi", as well as a bunch of other choices... nothing...

Man, my XP333-R was so easy... just tell the mobo bios to boot from RAID and it was set...

Any pointers? Deathstar, how did you do it?

Thanks!
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

T-shirt
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 12:57:05    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Usually raid devices are seen as SCSI extensions, you need to set the bios boot order to SCSI before the ATA hard drive
some add-on cards require a propietary utility program (and then only work with some boards)
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 13:34:15    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yeah, I have tried to use SCSI in the mobo BIOS and it didn't do it. I have followed the advice on the Promise site, and it doesn't seem to be a driver or utility issue, but I am not sure... The drive cloning seems to be fine, and hopefully that isn't the issue... Just kinda stuck on this one!
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 13:37:06    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

To boot from RAID

1) Disconnect all IDE HDD's
2) Set the BIOS to boot from SCSI (Just don't want it trying to boot from the onboard IDE controller HDD's)
2) When installing the OS insert the driver for the RAID controller (you HAVE to have a floppy for this)
3) Finish the install boot at least once into the OS.
4) Power down, reconnect your IDE drives leaving the BIOS alone.

BAM!! You will now boot to your new RAID array and still have your IDE drives!
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 13:40:54    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

But... you're describing a fresh OS install, right? I'm trying to avoid that and have copied my current partitions to my RAID partitions... Or are you just tricking it into thinking its a fresh install?
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 14:13:23    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

You need to install the OS fresh... Sad can't go from Non-RAID to a RAID drive with out a new OS install.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 14:43:48    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

uggh... o.k. sounds like another call the MS soon to re-activate XP... Bang Head
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

T-shirt
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 04:05:36    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Dr. EvilCheeze wrote:
You need to install the OS fresh... Sad can't go from Non-RAID to a RAID drive with out a new OS install.

I think that's right (atleast for XP Censored ) but once set up you can keep any image on the non-raid drive for quick repairs.
BB do you have XP activation on auto-dial yet? moving it up to number #1? hoping that button doesn't wear out?
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sat, 01 Nov 2003 23:15:19    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well, I did it... Fresh install on the RAID array, and yup... I have to make a call to MS tomorrow!! The message it gave me was a bit different than any of the others, so I hope it doesn't translate to a hassle with them... Bang Head

I kept the old drives intact for now... in case I have to revert...
Charlie
DeathStar

PostPosted: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 17:21:04    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Big Bruin wrote:
Well, I did it... Fresh install on the RAID array, and yup... I have to make a call to MS tomorrow!! The message it gave me was a bit different than any of the others, so I hope it doesn't translate to a hassle with them... Bang Head

I kept the old drives intact for now... in case I have to revert...

The joys of a RAID array; once you have your OS activated, you shouldn't have to revert to the old arrangement. As T-Shirt mentioned, keep a good image on another drive just in case.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: