Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Modding... My Jeep
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 11:51:25    Post Subject: Modding... My Jeep Reply with quote View Single Post

No PC work this morning... Tweaked my Jeep Cherokee's 4.0L Inline 6 Cylinder instead...

1. Rusty's Off Road Air Tube with K&N Air Filter
2. Rusty's Throttle Body Spacer
3. Platinum Plugs
4. Heavier ignition wires
5. New distributor cap

Maybe I'll get this 190 HP stock up over 200... Sun

Last edited by Doctor Feelgood on Fri, 24 Oct 2003 14:48:26; edited 2 times in total
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Dud3!
Forum abandoner

PostPosted: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 09:15:07    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Should be good for 10HP depending on how bad the stock intake setup was.

What wires did you get? Were they precut? What plugs (don't say Bosch please)?

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 10:16:25    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well... the throttle body spacer has already been removed... it made this really annoying whistle with the gas pedal about 1/3 of the way down. Not cool for a daily driver. It has a helical bore I may have machined out to be smooth, but we'll see.

The ignition wires were all pre-cut... The inline 6 on the Jeep requires 3 different sizes to make it fit / look decent, and to be honest, I don't even see a brand name on them or in the catalog. They are much beefier than the stock wires, and even if its all in the insulation, the quality seems higher.

The plugs are Auto-Lite Double Platinum. They seem good, but I didn't really care to research them too far...
Dud3!
Forum abandoner

PostPosted: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 14:47:11    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

You let a little whistle get you down? Laughing

After I removed the Holly and the aluminum spacer on the Bronco to do some grinding and polishing, it whistles at a certain spot when you just crack the throttle open. I rarely hear it because the spot it whistles at isn't a spot that you use too often.

I really don't know why it started that, because I enlarged the bores in the spacer to match the carb, polished them to a 2000 grit finish, the polished the bores of the carb (just had some dings on the bottom from being taken on and off over the years), and ground the screws that hold the butterflies down flush.

I think it's the screws doing it, I probably didn't get one quite flush and it has a gap that air goes through...

Anyway, did you call the manufacturer and ask them if that was normal? Might be some way to make it stop.

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 12:33:40    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I had the throttle body spacer machined to remove the helical bore, and re-installed it this morning!! w00t! Whistling gone, punch is back... all is good. I'll just have to keep an eye on my gas mileage to make sure its worth it...

Cost:

Machining the throttle body spacer... 1 bottle of Cherry Brandy.
Eliminating the whistling noise... PRICELESS!

Laughing

Thumbs Up
Dud3!
Forum abandoner

PostPosted: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 12:42:57    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Nice! Laughing
kestrel
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 19:53:15    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

what does "HP" measure?
Boo Boo

Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 23:27:47    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

HP = HorsePower

Horsepower is defined as work done over time. The exact definition of one horsepower is 33,000 lb.ft./minute. Put another way, if you were to lift 33,000 pounds one foot over a period of one minute, you would have expended one horsepower.

That clear things up???

And welcome to Big Bruin!!!!!
kestrel
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 18:24:11    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

whoa, i wish I was as strong as a horce Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: