Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
SATA drives?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garnold
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 08:49:15    Post Subject: SATA drives? Reply with quote View Single Post

Has anyone had some time to work with these yet? Are they faster or is the wiring just more convenient? I need to build up a test server for some software. The box needs a drive so I was thinking of pulling one out of my new box and replacing it with one of these.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

ldonyo
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 08:57:04    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

They aren't that much faster, yet. The wiring is rather convenient, too, but a regular ribbon cable can be folded and tucked out of the way. All in all I really don't see that it would be worth the effort to swap the drives unless the drive you're replacing is dead.
knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 14:54:16    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

From what I read, the SATA 10RPM Raptors come close to SCSI U160 speeds and sustained throughput. Drive size is smaller due to the adaptation of SCSI design into ATA.

..I'm probably gonna order a couple Raptors in the next month or so.
dadx2mj
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 15:01:34    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Thing I dont like about SATA is that you can only put one drive per channel. Most Onboard SATA controllers only have two channels thus you can only have two drives. I understand most add on controllers have 4 channels tho.
knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 20:20:00    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Promise has a number of PCI S-ATA controllers out, both 2 and 4 channel flavors.
IceNine
*The Freshest*

PostPosted: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 02:16:56    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I have a board that has SATA on it. However it also can be used as SATA in RAID. Oddly enough, the RAID capability isn't available until they release the drivers. Another reason you should check the box to make SURE you're getting what you want. Bang Head

A letter to a soldier
garnold
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 12:01:52    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well from what I'm getting from you folks right now buying a SATA drive might not be the best idea yet. Thanks for the info!
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

IceNine
*The Freshest*

PostPosted: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 20:28:06    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I won't do it any time soon. It just seems that there are too many problems people are having. I'd wait it out for a while first.

A letter to a soldier
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: