Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Skype for Home Phone
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 10:36:57    Post Subject: Skype for Home Phone Reply with quote View Single Post

I've used Skype to make internet calls, but have never tried it out as a home phone system. Anybody using Skype that way? What phone(s) do you have or dislike?
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

motanacu
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 04:41:07    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

There`s one phone from ASUS(?) i think, one of my friends has it. It worth to try...
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 08:49:47    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Don't give up your landline. Use VoIP if you want (I do), but again... DO NOT GIVE UP YOUR LANDLINE.

That is unless 911 really isn't that important to you.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 09:02:26    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Some VoIP has 911, but not Skype. Our landline was replaced with Optimum Voice (our cable companies VoIP) and it works like a normal landline. I have my office phone number through Skype, and it works well... I paid for the phone number, voice mail, and so on... Never need to consider it for 911 since I am usually home, and if I am traveling I don't know who would answer anyway.

While I have tried a few handsets (they were cheap) I prefer speakerphone at my desk... Or a headset. A Bluetooth wireless VoIP handset might be nice. Logitech has one I think.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 11:14:18    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

All VoIP has 911... but... Think about this...

1) Internet traffic is under no law to ever... EVER do anything. Including... work.

2) The internet was not designed for voice, let alone handle time sensitive, life or death traffic.

3) If something happens, such as misconfiguration, equipment failure, hurricane, etc on your Internet line (including being disconnected by your ISP) you will get service when ever it get's handled. If your voice line goes does down, the telco's are under legal requirements to get it back up. And if your service is disconnected, you can still dial 911 (even if you don't have dial tone).

4) When you call 911 from any VoIP line, there is no guarantee that the information attached to it is correct. Your landline is all but guaranteed to be correct (over 99.99% accurate).

5) VoIP 911 is.... less than reliable.

I can't tell you all the details, but trust me I do, because of my job.

Dial 911 in this order:

1) Landline - MOST Reliable buy a WIDE margin.
2) Cell - In the right area, they will know where you are with in feet... in the wrong area, they will know you are some place in a mile or so radius.
3) 2 Can's and a String - At least the person who's on the other end knows where you are... they might not be able to do anything, but hey... at least they know where you are.
4) Carrier Pigeon - They can put a tracker on it and let it fly home... there they will find you and be able to give you a burial with a head stone that at least has your name on it.
5) VoIP - Well... it might work.. or not. But hey... it's just possibly life or death. And well... you know Joey down the street had to download 500GB of p0rn to fill up his new hard drive, so I'm sure your 911 traffic will have all the priority of his traffic... or maybe not. Lets also sure as heck hope Mr. Olexei Batusanschi (made up name in case your wondering) isn't in the middle of a DDoS attack at the same time your calling 911 because your child just fell and cracked their head open.

Nothing wrong with using VoIP or Skype (I use both), but NEVER EVER give up your landline.
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 12:18:19    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

LOL Been without a landline for....13 years now Grin Use cell phones 100% All three of us have phones, just reception in basement of new house is a little spotty.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 12:51:37    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hellfire wrote:
LOL Been without a landline for....13 years now Grin Use cell phones 100% All three of us have phones, just reception in basement of new house is a little spotty.

Just because it's been done for a long time makes it right? Laughing

If your in a Major city, most likely you're fine dialing 911 because they can triangulate where you are with in feet.

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/wireless911srvc.html

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/voip911.html
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 14:50:18    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yea, won't dispute that a landline is more reliable for 911.

Our local phone carrier pissed us off so we dropped them LOL I know our cells and area is 911 capable they have that system in place.
borschtBomber[SS]
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 15:15:10    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Pretty much the reason that BeerCheeze pointed out I refuse to switch to VoIP. We have a basic landline but use our cell's for most of our calling.
christina111
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 08:52:57    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I have used it to call my forgein friends, and it is cheaper. But I think the sound is not good as phone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: