Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Quiet Case Fans
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimBowy

PostPosted: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 20:56:23    Post Subject: Quiet Case Fans Reply with quote View Single Post

I just realized how loud my case fans are (about twice the volume of my CPU fan spinning at 3,000 rpm). Here's my question.... would it be better to:
A. buy new "quiet" case fans... (if so, any suggestions?)
B. buy a fan controller that could run 5+ case fans + a cpu fan or 2?)

I can't stand this thing being so loud for just a few wimpy 80mm fans. They really don't seem to spin that fast, they just WHINE! Arrghh.... Bang Head

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Dud3!
Forum abandoner

PostPosted: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 21:27:36    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Go to SVC and get Coolermaster 80mm fans. 25dB, 32CFM.
JimBowy

PostPosted: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 21:33:58    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Cool, thanks dude. This new PSU is only 14 dBA! =P
dadx2mj
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 00:41:33    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

OK here is a related question. Isn't the noise a fan makes directly related to the amount of air it moves? So if a fan makes less noise it also moves less air?

Personally I would go with a fan controller so you could crank them up if things get too warm or slow them down when you want quiet. Gives you the best of both worlds.
bruceModn
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 05:41:02    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

dadx2mj wrote:
OK here is a related question. Isn't the noise a fan makes directly related to the amount of air it moves? So if a fan makes less noise it also moves less air?

i beleive it all depends on the fan design like angle and arch.

Quote:
Personally I would go with a fan controller so you could crank them up if things get too warm or slow them down when you want quiet. Gives you the best of both worlds.

i think best combo would be 120mm(bigger fan blades, less sped needed to create air flow) fan with automatic fan controller so if case hits certain temp the fan spins up.[/quote]

Dud3!
Forum abandoner

PostPosted: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 21:59:02    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Noise depeneds on the design of the blades, quality of the finish, thickness of the blades, etc. Motor noise is also a factor.

THe best way to move more air and reduce noise is to get a larger fan. While a 60mm fan would have to scream at 7,000RPM to move 37CFM, a 120mm fan could do it while barely turning (in comparison).

Rexignis
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 12:16:03    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

my bro has the same problem its like his comp is getting ready for take off
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Empty_5oul
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 15:40:55    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi,

right back to ur original comment. i have recently upgraded from an "average" computer to some nice stuff Razz. i purchased a thermaltake xaser wingo 5 and Jet7 blower (cpu fan) which i am impressed with - it has 5 case fans and runs very cool. 3 fans are 90mm and 2 at 80mm. At first this ran very cool but loud **- i have now re-wired it and the main 2 fans are controllable on the front - so it can run virtually silent or loud depending on my requirments.

Anyway, there are quiet case fans e.g http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/components/modificationandcoolingkit/productView.htm?quicklinx=30WR - also u can buy size adapters which allow 120 or 90mm fans to be put on 80mm slots - i take it u realise larger size can have same air flow at slower rate (noise aswell) than smaller fan -- as Dud3! said.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: