Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
2017 CPU Price War Thread
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eunoia
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 28 Feb 2017 07:25:38    Post Subject: 2017 CPU Price War Thread Reply with quote View Single Post

I won't be pre-ordering or buying right away, but like everyone else I'll be watching for 3rd party benchmarks and mobo reviews. Still two days away, but judging by massive Intel price cuts visible at Microcenter, Ryzen is the real deal. Finally something to get excited about!

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Tue, 28 Feb 2017 08:55:54    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Thinking about it... I haven't built a new PC in years. My desktops have an i3 3225 and a 3245, an i7 3770, and the most recent would be a i5 4670 which is still 3-4 years old! Yikes
eunoia
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 28 Feb 2017 22:26:29    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Time flies! Really it's how good the older builds are that prevent us from justifying new ones Laughing

It would be great if this was AMD's i7-920 and they succeeded in not just lowering Intel's prices, but actually clawing back a chunk of the enthusiast market. If a significant number of people start upgrading, it means more competitiveness across the board: better prices, better components, better features, better information. I'm probably getting my hopes up for a new golden age of PCs, but will definitely be watching the AM4 story unfold this year!
eunoia
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 02 Mar 2017 23:59:33    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Ryzen launch day. Pored through many reviews, the tech press doesn't seem as enthusiastic as the enthusiasts. Predicatably the gamer sites are the least generous with their praise, "this isn't an i7-7700K killer" or "failed to meet our expectations." Maybe I've really been out of the loop, but AMD trading punches with high-end Intel is great news.

Somewhat underwhelmed also are the overclocking sites, their focus isn't on performance per dollar of the Ryzen7 1700 or 1700X, but on the lower headroom. Overclocking sites are coming across as dishonest the way they're not focussing on the value proposition of these new CPUs. Overclocking used to be all about value, not heavily sponsored "stars" going for world records; just some guy rigging $600 worth of stuff to perform like $1200 worth of stuff without breaking anything.

Nonetheless, I'm guessing initial Ryzen sales will be brisk, with more Intel price cuts and improvements to performance certain to follow.
eunoia
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Fri, 14 Apr 2017 17:25:05    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Ryzen 1700X on sale $386.68 USD, at ncixus.com.
martin123
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 01 May 2017 03:06:52    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Shipping cost included?

Disease
Drugs
eunoia
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sat, 06 May 2017 12:30:48    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

To be clear, I'm not selling these, just clearly linking to vendors that are and watching for price drops.

May 6 2017 prices at ncixus.com with "instant rebates" (in USD):

AMD RYZEN 7 1800X $464.98
AMD RYZEN 7 1700X $374.98
AMD RYZEN 7 1700 $316.98
AMD RYZEN 5 1600X $247.98
AMD RYZEN 5 1600 $219.99
AMD RYZEN 5 1500X $189.99

INTELĀ® COREā„¢ I7-7700K $337.98
INTELĀ® COREā„¢ I5-7600K $234.39
Intel Core I7-6850K $646.06
Intel Core I7-6800K $459.37
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

AkselVerg
Rated PG

PostPosted: Thu, 08 Jun 2017 12:00:07    Post Subject: Building New PC Reply with quote View Single Post

As soon as you think about building a new computer, especially gaming one, you immediately come to a quiet horror and a nightmare. Bang Head
-Firstly - the constant development of technology, only dosed up one PC and there are already more new and powerful spare parts.
-Secondly, each component has at least 3-4 equally good analogues. And they're all almost the same so you can not immediately understand which one is better.
-And the third is the wild price difference due to minor changes in characteristics.

Summing up, I recently got an SSD and faced all this, absolutely different prices and brands, it's very difficult to choose. For example - this is the first sample of SSDs found, (www,bestadvisers,co,uk/ssds (just replace the commas by the dots) you should agree that it is hard to choose what is better to take, and what turns out to be an erroneous choice.
So if you plan to collect your PC, do not rush headlong - first consult with someone who knows. Yikes
Shadowsilence
I <3 Chevrolet

PostPosted: Wed, 28 Jun 2017 14:50:16    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I've been waiting for prices to drop on the Ryzen CPU's. Still using a phenom x4 965 on water. Been going strong for a long time. Thinking about upgrading again, just updated video card last year to a nvidia 1060. Almost that time to look at mobo/processor/ram, and waterblock.
eunoia
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 09 Aug 2017 04:36:27    Post Subject: Re: Building New PC Reply with quote View Single Post

AkselVerg wrote:
As soon as you think about building a new computer, especially gaming one, you immediately come to a quiet horror and a nightmare. Bang Head
-Firstly - the constant development of technology, only dosed up one PC and there are already more new and powerful spare parts.
-Secondly, each component has at least 3-4 equally good analogues. And they're all almost the same so you can not immediately understand which one is better.
-And the third is the wild price difference due to minor changes in characteristics.

Summing up, I recently got an SSD and faced all this, absolutely different prices and brands, it's very difficult to choose. For example - this is the first sample of SSDs found, (www,bestadvisers,co,uk/ssds (just replace the commas by the dots) you should agree that it is hard to choose what is better to take, and what turns out to be an erroneous choice.
So if you plan to collect your PC, do not rush headlong - first consult with someone who knows. Yikes

So much truth in this first post, I'd only add that it doesn't get any easier on subsequent builds. If anything it's more difficult because the next time you're looking at a build with (outdated) prejudices. As for the "consult with someone who knows," I'm holding out for a second and third opinion, some of the more successful and visible "experts" give the worst advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: