Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Undervolting?
to decrease laptop CPU temps
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fatbastard
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 22:35:30    Post Subject: Undervolting? Reply with quote View Single Post

Has anyone here messed around with undervolting their CPU's to lower their temps on their laptops? I found a walk through to do this and found it was fairly effective, lowering my idle temps about 4-7 C and full load temps 10-15C. The walkthrough suggested using RM Clock to adjust teh multiplier voltages which I did and at one point and time it was running great...but after my recent reinstall of the OS I have noticed it doesn't always run the requested voltage. 95% of the time it is what I set but every now and then it is different. Is anyone familiar with RM Clock or could make a suggestion as to what I could try? I already tried rolling the BIOS back to teh original that came with the machine but no luck.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 09:59:30    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

My new laptop has a button near the screen that effectively does this on the fly in Windows. Gaming mode boosts the CPU to 1.3V while other modes may drop it to 1.0V. I see a difference in temperatures, and I imagine battery life is greatly improved in the lower modes (but I am generally plugged in and in gaming mode). Too bad the auto overclock button is disabled on this version... some like mine can get a 20% overclock with a press of a button! Sounds like trouble waiting to happen on a laptop!

RM Clock looks nice and simple, but I hadn't seen it before.

What about SetFSB? http://www13.plala.or.jp/setfsb/

Tricky part is discovering the code to use.
fatbastard
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 11:36:31    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

good God no! I followed a walk through with step by step pictures telling me what to do and I screwed up somewhere.....if I tried this my machine might spontaneously combust!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: