Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
View Single Post  Topic: Home Media Server 
BeerCheeze
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 15:57:01    Post Subject: Home Media Server Reply with quote

OK, new project for 09/10 for me. I am looking into making a home media server/system that both the wife and I, as well as the kids can all use (possibly at the same time). So I'm looking for anyone with experiences with doing it, and any recommendations.

Requirements:
1) Accessible via network.
2) Able to be watched on multiple systems (at once), watching multiple video streams
3) Able to be used by different types of devices - Xbox, Wii, PC, etc...
4) Access to things such as Netflix, locally riped DVD's, Hulu, etc...

Known Issues:
I realize there are some network and system requirements that will be pretty steep for this, however I can/will build a system that can handle it (i.e. Quad Core, lots of RAM, diskspace) and I am looking to upgrade my network (all Gigabit and Wireless-N). The only problem may be my internet connection, but I'm limited right now, however I may even consider adding an additional ISP (cable) to handle just steaming video/audio. I'll figure this out in some way or fashion.

What I know:
PlayOn - Been testing this, and still looking at more. Nice features, but I'm still not sure how to use on Windows PC's, and how to have DVD's play on it. It did play the Ripped DVD's that I have, but each VOB file had to be opened separately (at least when I was testing this on our Wii). I need to make this "child proof" so my 6 - 10 yr old kids can use it easily.

Windows Media Player- I know this will do somethings, but I think it falls WAY short of what I'm looking for.

Any thoughts, suggestions, helpful hints, experiences, etc... are greatly appreciated. Just because I'm listing Windows apps above doesn't mean it has to be windows based. But it HAS to meet the requirements with out me having to compile code Grin

Contact Us :: On Facebook :: On Youtube :: Newsletter :: RSS Feed :: FAQ :: Links :: Sponsors :: Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2000 - 2023 Bigbruin.com - All rights reserved