Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
View Single Post  Topic: RaidMax Ninja 918 ATX Gaming Case 
Voldenuit
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 01:00:59    Post Subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for a great review on the Ninja 918! I had recently bought one on the basis of your Samurai review (the Samurai being too expensive for me). However, I'd like to add a few points to your review if I may.

There is a variant of the Ninja 918 that has mesh front intakes instead of translucent plastic (I have said variant):

Theoretically, this should allow for freeer airflow into the case than the vented plastic version in your review.

The motherboard tray is removable. I haven't seen a single review mention this. This greatly adds to the convenience of installing into this case. However, the tray is only held in place with a single screw (there are additional screwholes to mount it, but they also fasten the right side panel onto the frame, making it less convenient to remove). Also, the tray is a little flimsy.

My case shipped with no PSU and 2 120mm fans (front and rear) as well as the 80mm side fan. However, the 120mm fans were pretty noisy - noisier than the 80 mm in fact! Closer examination revealed that the 80mm used NACA airfoil blades, whereas the blades on the 120mm fans were simple wedge-shaped airfoils, which are less efficient and stall easily (leading to turbulence and noise). I replaced both 120mm fans with Coolermaster Silent LED fans (42 CFM @ 22dB, 1200 rpm).

The edges in the main workspace are rounded off, but not in the less accessible areas (the fan mount and drive bays in particular). I managed to cut myself quite badly while mounting the front fan.

The fixed drive retention system means you can't adjust the position of drives. While my WD 3.5" HDD and Sony DRU-810 DVDRW fit *perfectly*, I had a much more difficult time trying to mount a 3.5" HDD in the floppy bay, and gave up for fear of obstructing my motherboard.

Anyway, after all my travails, I am still very happy with the case, but just felt that potential buyers be aware of its strong points and drawbacks.

Cheers,
V.

Contact Us :: On Facebook :: On Youtube :: Newsletter :: RSS Feed :: FAQ :: Links :: Sponsors :: Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2000 - 2023 Bigbruin.com - All rights reserved