Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
View Single Post  Topic: Wireless Networking: Setup and Security 
Kilamon
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 13:52:17    Post Subject: Reply with quote

oh nos, hackers are out to get my 32gigs of mp3s!!

hehe

In my neighborhood, I'm more worried about the people with guns than the people with laptops but EC is right. If you spoof the MAC and have a more powerful signal, you could overpower the machine and gain entry. If you set up a wireless home network with WEP/WPA, MAC filtering, SSID Broadcasts off (and turn off the PC broadcasts), change the SSID and change the router/AP login credentials then I'd say your home network would be about as ironclad as your house. It'll stop the script kiddies and the losers with a playstation, but anyone who is dedicated to breaking in will do so.

One article I read a while back had a guy who only used WEP and changed his SSID to his email address. Anyone who emailed him from his suburb and requested access, he'd meet with and allow. This gave him the opportunity to do MAC filtering so he could turn off access if someone used too much bandwidth, but he could also do multiplayer gaming and even charge access to his neighbors for Internet access. It's not a bad idea, and if you had a firewall attached, you could monitor their traffic and even supply kid friendly access (if you live in Utah or some place that values that crap).

Contact Us :: On Facebook :: On Youtube :: Newsletter :: RSS Feed :: FAQ :: Links :: Sponsors :: Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2000 - 2023 Bigbruin.com - All rights reserved