Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
View Single Post  Topic: AM3 & Dedicated SLI Going the Way of the Dinosaur? 
dlb
Rated PG

PostPosted: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 23:01:49    Post Subject: Reply with quote

I'm running an Asus mobo ( model M4N72-E ) and it supports all current AM3 processors (thanks to BIOS upgrades); it's a 2-way SLI board and I freekin love it, but it IS an older model so it's DDR2 memory only. As for new boards supporting DDR3 memory with AM3 processors and SLI with Nvidia chipsets: slim pickins.... why this is the way things are going is a bit mystifying to me personally..... most newer Intel chipsets support both AMD Xfire and Nvidia SLI, but AMD chipsets do NOT support both (except for the new 9xx series -I think). The business reasons here are obvious with AMD's acquisition of ATI. You'd think that Nvidia would want to counter that move and try to appeal to more mobo makers to build SLI mobos with Nvidia chipsets.... I dunno.... it's weird....

(BTW - @ jedihobbit: your sig lists your PhenomII 1055 as a quad-core X4, but as we all know it's a hexa-core X6! I'm sure it's just an oversight or a "I've had a few beers and I'm typing too fast and it's just reflex to enter quad core X4" - not a big deal, just thought I'd meniton it LOL )

Contact Us :: On Facebook :: On Youtube :: Newsletter :: RSS Feed :: FAQ :: Links :: Sponsors :: Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2000 - 2023 Bigbruin.com - All rights reserved