Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Ximeta NetDisk (80GB)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 13:09:41    Post Subject: Ximeta NetDisk (80GB) Reply with quote View Single Post

Check out the Bigbruin.Com review: **HERE**

And share your comments / questions in this thread... Thanks!

Last edited by Doctor Feelgood on Fri, 28 Apr 2006 14:15:02; edited 2 times in total
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Bert
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 13:37:03    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

nice one bb
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 15:00:42    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

This review has become really popular all of a sudden… so I looked around to see why… If you search Google for “Netdisk” or “Ximeta Netdisk”, this review is the first listing… even ahead of the link to the official site… Laughing
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 16:02:46    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

SWEET!! Gotta LOVE it when Google give's ya a little lov'n
docbill
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 02:30:18    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I can't believe in these days of rampant viruses, and cyber terrorists, the review doesn't even mention security considerations.

The real question I have is how secure is data that is placed on the hard drive? Are hackers going to be able to add viruses and worms to the executables on the drive without first hacking one of the computers on the local subnet?

Bill
JimBowy

PostPosted: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 03:56:05    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

docbill wrote:
I can't believe in these days of rampant viruses, and cyber terrorists, the review doesn't even mention security considerations.

The real question I have is how secure is data that is placed on the hard drive? Are hackers going to be able to add viruses and worms to the executables on the drive without first hacking one of the computers on the local subnet?

Bill

the best defense would be preventing the worm/hacker from even getting inside of the network with an external firewall... but if someone did get in the Netdisk would be vunerable just as any other personal computer would be...

i dont know if you can expect much more...

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 06:58:45    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi docbill... I agree with JimBowy...

The Netdisk isn't like the SnapServer, as it isn't intended to be accessed via the web... So, I would say it is just like your personal computer on the network, and your responsibility to protect it.

Ximeta provides nothing as far as software goes to do this, and I have to check the manual again, but I don't remember it being mentioned. The software has advanced a bit since the review was released (when the NetDisk was a fairly new product), and they even offer an automated backup utility now... so perhaps they are still developing things over there.

This thing is more like a more sophisticated portable hard drive (in my opinion), as it does have LAN and USB connectivity.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

lukaso
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 13:43:19    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I bought this product with high expectations. These were not met.
1) It is not a server, so it has to be run with special software on any computer that access it (assuming using ethernet)
2) The one I got, and the one a friend of mine got (at the same time) have never worked.
3) I sent mine back for warranty replacement. I bought the unit end of april, and have still not received a replacement. It is now middle of August. I am giving up on getting my money back.
My advice, do not buy products from this company.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 14:04:33    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi lukaso... That really sucks about getting a bad unit. Did the place of purchase refuse the return? I would have gone back for an exchange, if possible.

Anyway... You are right, it is not a server, although it can be used as one on a small scale for basic things like file sharing, etc.

It is just an external hard rive that has the typical USB connection, but adds the Ethernet connection for sharing via the software you mentioned.

I have had the device installed since the review without a single problem, and using the NetDisk software have made it read/write available to three PCs on the network with minimal effort.
JimBowy

PostPosted: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 15:19:42    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Found a nice deal on this one guys....

Get this product from Officemax.com for $100 with this $30 rebate http://www.maxmyrebates.com/promocenter/officemax/promotion.html?sku=20849977

Here's the product link: http://www.officemax.com/max/solutions/product/prodBlock.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&expansionOID=-536893136&prodBlockOID=537393121

- Jim

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Storage All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: