Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Water Cooling
What do these use....
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anerky99
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sun, 24 May 2009 12:43:37    Post Subject: Water Cooling Reply with quote View Single Post

How are pumps connected to power, i assume they are molex powered. Looking at getting water cooling in the future and have been reading up on it and this is one of my wonders lol Smile.
Might post some possible parts for a kit up soon.
What are peoples thoughts on water cooling??
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sun, 24 May 2009 13:19:12    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

To me... water cooling seems like an unnecessary hassle these days. Air coolers are so efficient and easy, plus the CPUs are all generally put out less heat, so I wouldn't bother with water cooling again. Back in the day I liked it, but not now.

Too much set up time and effort, there is the need for maintenance, and upgrades become a big hassle.

I have an overclocked quad core Xeon in my desktop that has an air cooler with no fan (Cooler Master Hyper Z600) and it runs cooler than the water cooled D840 I ran back a few years ago.

Just my Two Cents

And on the pump question - many are 12V 4-pin Molex, but some are direct 120V AC powered with a cable that passes out of the case.
Shadowsilence
I <3 Chevrolet

PostPosted: Sun, 24 May 2009 13:24:15    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I tried water cooling awhile back. Make sure you use the non-conductive fluid. Mine sprung a leak about a month after install and probably would have fried my whole computer had I used typical water.
Water cooling is an expensive venture if you want to do it correctly. Just plan accordingly

Digerati
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Mon, 25 May 2009 05:15:08    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I honestly never had the time or money for water-cooling. It also seems like a bit of a novelty to me. As Jason said, air cooling technology has rapidly advanced to give amazing results that are usually very few degrees lower than water-cooling results. My Noctua NH-C12P keeps my E8400 running like a beast with low temps. The only reasons I'd get water cooling is if I wanted to show off my e-penor on an over clock or plainly for eye candy and status.
anerky99
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 25 May 2009 07:36:13    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well my thought was to initally use it on an i7 920 basically just over the stock cooling on it but also possibly at somepoint incorporate a gtx 295 as it runs fairly hot and i think water could cool it fairly well, not sure though. Just a thought at the minute. Anyone got experience of gtx 295 cooling?? Or custom style cooling for it?? If i could keep something like that cooled well i would probably just go for a decent quiet cpu heatsink. Hoping by the time ive got my pc the market for i7 coolers, be watr or air, will have expanded alot more as there isnt alot of choice to get a specific i7 cooler.
Coolermaster HAF 932 II Coolermaster Real Power M1000 II Gigabyte EX58-UD5 II i7 920 @ 3.2Ghz II Corsair H100 CPU Cooler II 24gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz II 2x MSI GTX 460 Hawk Talon Attack SLI II Corsair F240 SSD II 2x3Tb Seagate (RAID0) II 1Tb Seagate 7200.12 II 1.5Tb Seagate 7200.11 II Pinoneer BluRay Writer
Bojamijams
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 25 May 2009 21:10:50    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

CPU's are not getting more efficient.. the i7 is a furnace compared to the Core2Quad

I've gone to watercooling and I'm not going back.. air coolers as efficient as water cooling now? hah.. yeah right.. maybe if you're on the north pole with a -30celsius ambient..

There is simply no match for the quietness and the extreme cooling capability that water-based heat transfer provides.. my E7300 is a stupidly inefficient chip that needs 1.5v to achieve 3.8ghz 24/7.. on air cooling I couldn't do that and was limited to 3.4ghz with high 70's on a hot day, and loud noise.. now I Have no noise, am running 4ghz at 1.6v and only barely hitting 60celsius on a hot day.
anerky99
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 27 May 2009 11:39:59    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Im still not sure, id want to eventually get a gtx 295 into the water loop but it looks fairly awkward to install any blocks to it and the BFG version that comes with waterblock on it is about £200-£300 more than a standard one lol. So not too sure. Have to see if i am able to win anything lol.
Coolermaster HAF 932 II Coolermaster Real Power M1000 II Gigabyte EX58-UD5 II i7 920 @ 3.2Ghz II Corsair H100 CPU Cooler II 24gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz II 2x MSI GTX 460 Hawk Talon Attack SLI II Corsair F240 SSD II 2x3Tb Seagate (RAID0) II 1Tb Seagate 7200.12 II 1.5Tb Seagate 7200.11 II Pinoneer BluRay Writer
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Bojamijams
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 15:55:55    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I wouldn't waste time with watercooling a single graphics card.. usually they can exhaust their air fine, unless you have a REALLY cramped case. Its when you do multi-card setups that water cooling really pays off as two cards, sandwhiched together, is a recipe for danger.

However, if your video card allows voltage changes, then you might wanna do water cooling for the video cards to see how much you can crank those core/shader/mem voltages
anerky99
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 16:48:41    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Bojamijams wrote:
I wouldn't waste time with watercooling a single graphics card.. usually they can exhaust their air fine, unless you have a REALLY cramped case. Its when you do multi-card setups that water cooling really pays off as two cards, sandwhiched together, is a recipe for danger.

However, if your video card allows voltage changes, then you might wanna do water cooling for the video cards to see how much you can crank those core/shader/mem voltages

WEll ill have to see what kinds of temps i get from HAF932 case and stock cooling for everything lol. See what temps i get and everything. More thinking water cooling for the i7 920 to make it upto around same kind of speed as 965 whilst keeping it cool Smile.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: