Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Folding@Home
Distributed computing project for disease research
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 75, 76, 77  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Tue, 01 May 2007 15:34:08    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

JimBowy wrote:
i guess i'll need to buy an ocoto-core when they come out to catch up to your production numbers!

Anything I can do to get BB.com into the top 500. Grin If that happens to start an escalation in F@H hardware, I'm happy to take part. GrinGrin

Boo Boo

Tau
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Wed, 02 May 2007 11:51:56    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

acruxksa wrote:
I've got my q6600 (quad core oc'd to 3.0Ghz) running 2 vmware/ubuntu64bit virtual machines and folding@homes Linux smp client on each.
first impressions, this thing is fast, second impression, this thing is HOT. Off course it's oc'd to 3.0Ghz on air, but still, it's HOT. Current 100% load temps are mid to high 60's with my Zalman 9700. I may try re-adjusting the hsf to see if I can get temps down to the low-mid 60's. Ideally these things need water cooling, but I'm just to freaking lazy these days to even mess with it, so I guess I'll just run it hot. If it fry's it fry's. Still got the e6400 in the closet just in case.

Should take about a day and a half for production to pick up. Assuming I don't hose the OS trying to find the max OC/FSB before then.

**Update**
Just reseated the heatsink and used more Zalman thermal grease (noticed there wasn't nearly enough the first time) and now my %100 loaded temps are in the low 50's SmileSmileSmile
also of note, this cpu has massive amounts of voltage droop. I have 1.35v set in the bios, but the chip is only showing 1.296v. Still running smooth at 3.0Ghz though.

What motherboar is that on? - and FYI my Q6600ES has whacked temp reporting (as per coretemp) it was telling me i was loading at 80-90*C which acording to me being able to touch the heatsink near the base i figure it was in the 50's as i could still touch the heatsink, and if it was near 80 i would be burned instantly.

Also the Q6600's are rated for 110*C (or something really close) i know its a little over 100*C. I had mine up to 3.06Ghz for a couple days there dident really play with it that much as it was just for some benchmarks, i am still curiouse to see what they will do when i put some time into it.
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Wed, 02 May 2007 13:49:30    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Tau wrote:

What motherboar is that on? - and FYI my Q6600ES has whacked temp reporting (as per coretemp) it was telling me i was loading at 80-90*C which acording to me being able to touch the heatsink near the base i figure it was in the 50's as i could still touch the heatsink, and if it was near 80 i would be burned instantly.

Also the Q6600's are rated for 110*C (or something really close) i know its a little over 100*C. I had mine up to 3.06Ghz for a couple days there dident really play with it that much as it was just for some benchmarks, i am still curiouse to see what they will do when i put some time into it.

It's on my Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 (v1.0). I'm pretty confident that the current temps are good. (high 40's - low 50's). When I pulled the hsf off after seeing the 70c temps, the contact mark on the bottom of the hsf only covered 1/4 of the cpu's IHS, so I realized I hadn't used enough thermal paste. I think this q6600 will start throttling back at 100c, but I really didn't want to test it.

With 4gb of ram (only 3.5Gb actually usable in Vista) I can run 2 virtual machines and still get pretty good performance for general web browsing, email and open office work.

Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Wed, 02 May 2007 17:24:17    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

acruxksa wrote:
Tau wrote:

It's on my Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 (v1.0). I'm pretty confident that the current temps are good. (high 40's - low 50's). When I pulled the hsf off after seeing the 70c temps, the contact mark on the bottom of the hsf only covered 1/4 of the cpu's IHS, so I realized I hadn't used enough thermal paste. I think this q6600 will start throttling back at 100c, but I really didn't want to test it.

With 4gb of ram (only 3.5Gb actually usable in Vista) I can run 2 virtual machines and still get pretty good performance for general web browsing, email and open office work.

Not to bad on that motherboard - lots of people have been having alot of success with it. what strap are you using? and FYI you should be fine up into the 70's for load temps Smile
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Wed, 02 May 2007 22:59:26    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Tau wrote:

Not to bad on that motherboard - lots of people have been having alot of success with it. what strap are you using? and FYI you should be fine up into the 70's for load temps Smile

Pretty sure it's 1333Mhz, I think 333 is the switch point and cpu-z lists the "rated FSB" as 1332Mhz

Folding work units are averaging about 18min / frame on project 2609 so that equates to two 1523 point work units completing every 30hrs (one for each virtual machine). or approx 2400/ppd. Assuming I run both virtual machines 24/7 which I don't. I usually just run one during the day and fire both up at night before I go to bed, so a more realistic production number would be 1800/ppd

Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Thu, 03 May 2007 11:31:49    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

that gigabyte board can support the 1333 strap Yikes

most boards only take 800/1066...

can you post some more details on your overclock for me maybe? as i will be playing with my Q6600ES here over the next couple days.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 21 May 2007 13:22:32    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

It's a little quiet on the Folding front... Where did everybody go? Confused
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Shadowsilence
I <3 Chevrolet

PostPosted: Mon, 21 May 2007 13:43:17    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'm still folding along, rather slowly, but steady.
mrweasel
I can haz cheezbrgr?

PostPosted: Mon, 21 May 2007 13:56:59    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

dunno, for some reason my P4 at work is only throwing up ~300 pts/week....WTF?

Settle on my house tomorrow...next week, new Windows rig Grin

Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 10:34:48    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

My Folding is broken, help! Acruxksa explained what might be wrong, but I can not make it run on my Quad Opteron.

Over the weekend it just wouldn't launch at all, so I uninstalled, downloaded the latest SMP version, and reinstalled. Now it launches at least, but it can not get work or initialize the Folding Core, and just "sleeps".

So, in the meantime I have my Daughter's D840 Folding, and I have that Quad Opteron running one instance of the Windows graphical client...

WTF
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 75, 76, 77  Next
Page 35 of 77

Jump to: