Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Driving
Go To Page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vulcan
Pleased but Sticky.

PostPosted: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 15:02:42    Post Subject: Driving Reply with quote View Single Post

Can someone from the US help me here in how your driving system works, as it's confused me for some time.

In the UK at 17 you get your provisional license, which allows you to drive a car (providing that you're insured on it) with a person who has had a full license for three years, with "L" plates and not on motorways. You then take your theory test, then practical test, and if you pass both you get the full license which allows you to drive on your own on any road.

The otehr thng i need to ask about is speed limits and how they compare to here. In towns speed limit is generally 30 mph, dropping to 20 in some areas like around schools and in housing areas. You then get to 4--50 between towns, 60 in single carrigeway roads and 70 on dual-carrigeway and motorways.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 15:11:54    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Back in the day (1985) when I was going through all of that, at 15 1/2 you could get a learners permit that allowed you to drive with anyone over 21 years old.

During that time you had to take a driving class that either the highschools taught or you could do one through an outside source.

When you turned 16 you had to take a written then an actual driving test through the state dept of motor vehicles.

This of course was the way Washington state dealt with it. Each state has control over thier roads over here so things differ between states.

As far as speeds, residential areas are usually 25 MPH, main streets in town something like 35 MPH, smaller highways 55 MPH, and interstates 65 MPH. When you get to limited access interstates, rarely though, you see 70 MPH. Most of Interstate 5 is 70 MPH.

This is based on California, other states vary somewhat. Montana still (as far as I know) has unposted interstates with no limit. But that might have changed recently.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 15:21:32    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

It's changes a lot here in the US, and each state has their own rules.... The basic trend right now is:

Permit 15 1/2 - 16, this allows you to drive with a licensed driver (I think they have to be over 25). You generally need to either have so many hours behind the wheel (signed by your parents, or a drivers training school), or wait 1 yr. Then you get a license. Many states are now saying that until your 18+ you can't drive with any passengers in your car that aren't a relative or a licensed driver over 25.

Confused still?? Good, cause I am too. When I got mine... you could get a permit at 15 1/2 (written test), take drivers ed in school, take the documentation from that to the DMV (Dept. of Motor Vehicles) take a driving test and get your license at 16. Then you were a fully licensed driver, no restrictions.
Mooecow
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 15:40:03    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

In Connecticut you have to be 16 to get your permit. You can only drive with someone over 21 with a valid license. After 6 months with your permit you can go and take your written and road test. After you get your license, you have 6 months of graduated restrictions. For example the number of people you can have in your car.
HackaX0rus
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 15:53:12    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

in cali once you are 15.5 u can get your prermit...after 6 months then u get your liscence...6 months after u egt your liscence you are all9owed to drive ppl under 25 by yourself....the alternate route is being 17.5 then u can get your permit without taking the test...or if you are 18 you can jsut skip the permit and go straight to liscence...i think.
FOX
I <3 Quail

PostPosted: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 17:41:14    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

in minnesota you get your license at 16 learners at 15

residential areas 30- 20
city 45
highway 2 lane 70-75
4 lane hwy near minneapolis 60
then 50 for other roads usually

http://www.facebook.com/DjFOXDnB
My site where I have my latest mixes! www.DjSourceInfo.com
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 17:58:44    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I don't know about NJ driving, except the general town speed limits are from 15-45 MPH, and highways is 65, but 55 in more developed areas.

When I got my license in NY, you had to be 16 for a permit, and could instantly go for a driver's license... if you wanted. Permit drivers needed someone over 21 in the car. Licensed drivers had no driving after 9PM, unless you were coming from school/work until you were 18. Different rules in NYC as they try to limit the number of drivers.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Shadowsilence
I <3 Chevrolet

PostPosted: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 18:05:29    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

In Florida I got my permit at 15, where I could only drive with someone over the age of 25 I believe. As soon as I hit 16 I could take the driving test and written test to get my actual license. There weren't any restirctions to how many people I could have in my car ect... that's just crazy. As for speeds, residential areas are about 35, non-residential is between 40-45, and the major roads are anywhere between 45-55.
NewAwakenings
Your Worst Nightmare

PostPosted: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 20:33:13    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Ohio ,you get your learners permit at 15 and have to drive with a licensed driver (doesn't specify age) at least it didnt when I got my permit and you can get your license at 16. (of course you realize this was MANY years ago!!! Laughing

OOO Pleeease... Like you were the first person in this place to have him... we've passed him around like a Joint at a frat party! - Dr. EvilCheeze
HackaX0rus
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 23:51:26    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

When carnivorous dinosuars romed the earth...[documentary voice]like our freind the hackaX0rus, its a rare breed that spends most of his time lighting S$%@ on fire.[/documentary voice]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> The Den All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: