Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
New computer recommendations
Go To Page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgogeta4
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 24 May 2005 13:41:15    Post Subject: New computer recommendations Reply with quote View Single Post

Hey all, just wanted some input on a new computer I want to build. First of all, I'm wondering when in the next 0-3 months should I build it, will prices decrease substantially b/c of anything in this period? Second thing I want to know, if I should cut down in any of the areas to save money. All suggestions welcome, currently I'm a little over my budge of about $1500. So far the specs I'm looking at are:

AMD Athlon64 3200+ (Venice core) ~200
2x Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 160GB SATA-II RAID0 ~180
DFI LanParty UT nF4 SLI-DR ~180
Corsair 1GB TWINX 3200C2PT ~120
XFX 6600GT 128MB PCI-e Dual DVI (single board for now) ~160
2x Viewsonic VX715 17" 16ms 450:1 300cd/m2 ~520
M-Audio Revolution 7.1 ~100
Antec Sonata w/ TruePower 380W ~80
APC Back-UPS ES 750VA ~70
SilenX 120mm Fan 58CFM 14dB ~20
Sony 16x DVD-ROM ~20
Floppy Drive ~10

Just included the minor parts cuz it still adds up in the end. I appreciate any input. I'll probably do a little (safe level) overclocking but not much, just to try things out (never OCed before). Main uses are for school (engineering programs, some autocad, excel mostly), music, movies, games (warcraft 3).
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Shadowsilence
I <3 Chevrolet

PostPosted: Tue, 24 May 2005 13:51:21    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Bigger PSU, you've got alot of stuff and might go SLI in the future. No sense on buying a 380W now, when you'll probably need more later. If money is the issue, I'd get 1 monitor for now and save for a better PSU. I've got no complaints with a 510W PC Power & Cooling. You could even go with an Ultra X-Connect 500W PSU for about $20 more, which I've used and is also a nice PSU.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Tue, 24 May 2005 13:55:18    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi, and welcome.

I like alot of your stuff... Some small things I would change... I would skip the sound card, at least at first, and see how the onboard works for you. Many are quite good now, and unless you are really going to use 7.1, the onboard 5.1 is probably good enough. Also, I would skip the SilenX 120mm fan and get a higher speed unit and a fan controller. With a multichannel controller you could also regulate CPU and other case fan speeds... The Sonata case includes a 120mm out back, but is there room for another? The case looks kinda tight, IMO, and may not have the greatest cooling either. I have never used one, but it odesn't look optimized for hot components.

What kind of CPU cooler? Probably want something better than stock.
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 24 May 2005 14:05:58    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Great suggestions so far.

I will echo BB comment regarding the CPU cooler. The stock cooler with the AMD64 still caused my 64 to run upwards of 50-60C. Adding a better one, dropped that down to 35 - 40.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Tue, 24 May 2005 14:08:52    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I assumed the low wattage PSU was just because it came with the case he liked... Perhaps a better case and separate PSU are in order... A case with at least an intake and exhaust fan, and a solid brand PSU at or over 500W.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Tue, 24 May 2005 14:16:45    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

All good comments so far. You can also look at some lower spec'd RAM. Unless you plan on OverClocking, You can probably set down to some "lower end" Corsair PC3200 RAM and save yourself about $40.
sgogeta4
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 24 May 2005 15:36:00    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Thanks for the comments so far.

A friend recommended me the Antec Sonata, it's supposed to have sufficiently good cooling and is quiet. I do not know if anyone here has personal experience which might differ from his opinion and besides from his opinion, all I've read online is positive reviews. I know the PSU is a little low, so I am considering maybe changing the case/PSU to Antec Performance One P160 and an Enermax 550W PSU. I'll probably pick an OEM CPU instead of a retail one and I'm looking into Scythe Shogun's heatsink. Also, I'll probably drop the soundcard for now in order to cover the better PSU. Just wondering about the RAM, what would be the difference besides the price between the Corsair Value and what I have currently? Btw the Sonata has room for another 120mm fan, and the SilenX fan was suggested by the same person who had that case. I don't really know much about fans, so I do not know if it's a) needed and b) good (it's supposed to be the quietest fan though) Any other recommendations on case/PSU/heatsink/fan?
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

HackaX0rus
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 24 May 2005 15:39:54    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

ditch the DEATHSTARS...get seagate barracudda's and you will be much happier.
sgogeta4
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 24 May 2005 16:23:46    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Why/how is the Seagate better than Hitachi's? Both have NCQ, Hitachi has SATA-II, while it isn't utilized at it's fullest, it's still faster than SATA?
Shadowsilence
I <3 Chevrolet

PostPosted: Tue, 24 May 2005 16:30:50    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Basically it comes down to the fact that Seagate comes with a schweet 5 year warranty. I am running a Hitachi 400GB in my external with no problems. I prefer Seagate for my system, but I think it's more of a prefrence and warranty issue more than anything else.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: