Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Help me buy a new router
Go To Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimBowy

PostPosted: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 02:21:06    Post Subject: Help me buy a new router Reply with quote View Single Post

My second Linksys BEFSR41 has died and I've had enough. But I need your help quickly, my internet connectivey depends on it.

I want to move out of the crappy routers and get something half-decent for the home network. So screw the recent Linksys, Netgear, and D-Link crap.

Someone help me choose a small-business-class router for ~$100.

I have tworequirements other than the basics (port forwarding/dmz host):
- Must be at least 10/100
- Need at least 8 ports (16 would be better)

If you could make some suggestions... yes, that includes you cheese. I'd prefer to get something new but used could be an option.

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

FOX
I <3 Quail

PostPosted: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 02:37:39    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

what was wrong w/ those other 3 brands?? typically those are the best i thought lol

http://www.facebook.com/DjFOXDnB
My site where I have my latest mixes! www.DjSourceInfo.com
BeerLotus
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 02:43:27    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I've got a Linksys right now and they've a lways worked just fine for me, I don't know what your talking about. Linksys, 3com, and Netgear are the best out, use one of those.
JimBowy

PostPosted: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 03:11:09    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

These home-based routers just don't compare to something like a cisco guys. I want something a little better than these and I don't really believe in supporting a company where 2 times now the same model has died.

My "diag" light is stuck on the router and even after the router is re-flashed it will come back on. The product is no longer under warranty. If you look online you'll notice this is a problem common to Linksys routers, a problem I want to get away from.

vulcan
Pleased but Sticky.

PostPosted: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 05:58:29    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'm using a netgear over here, have been for 9 months now, works fine. The problem is, if you want to move up to something like a cisco router, that will probably mean a big price jump.
JimBowy

PostPosted: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 12:36:11    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Cheeze! Rescue me!
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 13:47:34    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Laughing I'd love to my friend... but the $100 price point is going to keep you on the low end.

Jumping into a new cisco router is going to start closer in the 500+ range. I was looking around and found a referb'd 1605R that would work for you, but it's $215 and referbed

http://www.compu-america.com/ProdDisplay.asp?CatID=37&ProdID=135845&ExportID=6
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 13:50:21    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Here is the lowest end Cisco I could find that's brand new... but note I have no experince with this model:

Cisco 831 Ethernet Router
JimBowy

PostPosted: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 13:56:46    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

It doesnt necessarily have to be a cisco.

Help me pick out something thats "small-business class" or does that bring me back to the Bestbuy networking parts again?

Maybe I'll have to try Netgear this time.
How about this one http://www.netgear.com/products/details/FVS318.php

It's roughly $100

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 14:18:36    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

The $100 range brings you into Best Buy/Circuit City network equipment.

Personally... my recommendation in your price range is to get a:

Linksys WRT54GS V2

Then go to:
http://www.sveasoft.com

Sign up pay the $20 get the latest firmware (or as close to it as you feel comfortable) and enjoy all the benefits of a enterprise class router for a much lower price.

I actually have that router, and have applied their latest freeware firmware. And it works great. If I was using the router for anything more than just a simple WAP I would have paid the $20 and got newer firmware, but I only needed the signal boost feature.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: