Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
It's getting a bit cold up here!!! :D
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 17:56:32    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

BeerCheeze wrote:
Kwel... when the collapse happens, we'll all be up there and can for the BB militia Grin

Any of those places better to look at then the others?

The Copper Bluff properties should have a pretty stunning view of the mountains to the East and they are priced right and have road(unmaintained) access. The best views would be the properties on Prince of Wales island, the views on some of the beach front lots would be world class. The only drawbacks here would be access and the fact that they get approx. 150" of annual precipitation (%85 of which is rain, not snow). Vehicle access is dependent on the logging roads in the area, but most should be easily accessible by float plane and boat from Ketchikan. The stuff around Talkeetna could have good views of Denali (Mt. Mckinley), but it's hard to say unless you actually walk the property. Blying Sound would probably be really nice, but the coast line in this area is very abrupt and dangerous. You would have marginal access by boat from Seward much of the year.

Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 18:24:38    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

So on many of these there are no utilites. How would that be dealt with? For things like water, electricity, sewage?

I'm sure you'd use Propane for heat/cooking, and I'm guessing you could have water delivered to a holding tank (if you couldn't get a well on your property). Possibly I'd think a septic tank too for sewage, but not sure about that. And Electricity... ????
Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 18:44:20    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Out where I am at the only utilities we have are electricity and nat gas. The nat gas stops a few miles past me.

Drilling a well is easy (about 100' down gets you water) and a septic system is the norm.

People who build cabins have no utilities, they make due with what they have and can figure out.

Dig a hole and build an outhouse, windmill/solar panels and batteries for electricity, wood for heat, well for water (if you can get a drill rig out to your plot) etc.

Part of the beauty of this state is that people up here make due with what they have.

I would nto want to have a permanent home with no road access or a few utilities, but to start out with some land that I could build a cabin with a barrel stove and a few cots and progress form there each winter (snowmachine) and summer (4 wheeler) to finally have a pretty well established and comfortable vacation place will definitely happen soon.

It borders on camping/roughing it with a few extra creature comforts added each season. Some of these cabins are two story with propane refrigerators, and electricity. From your cabin the hunting, fishing, and all other outdoor activities are right in your back yard literally. And there wont be another soul for 100's of miles in any direction.

Paradise.
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 23:00:51    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

In most of these places your front yard also doubles as a target range. Grin
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 23:06:43    Post Subject: COLD! Reply with quote View Single Post

Hmmm and down here in tropical Philippines we're always clamoring for snow and cold weather...talk about twisted fate... If you ever plan on going here, don't forget to bring some ice from there ayt? Grin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> The Den All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: