Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Q6600 overclock details.
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 22:59:30    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Man, I need a Q6600 to get in on this action!
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 13:11:03    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Doctor Feelgood wrote:

If intel drops prices as expected at the end of July the q6600 will be approx $270.

Tweaked_J,
You have a nice setup. Temps are a tad high, but there are things you can do to try and bring them down. first, have you tried lowering your cpu voltage? If things are stable, try lowering it slowly and see if it's still stable. second, what setting do you have your case fans running (low,med,high) you might be able to turn them up a bit to improve cooling. Also, I know it's odd, but have you tried rotating the zalman cooler so it blows air through the cooling fins and then out the top 200mm fan instead of the rear 120mm case fan? This is how I oriented mine and it seems to work quite well. Is your zalman plugged into the motherboard cpu fan header? If cpu fan speed is being managed by the bios, you could disable management and let the fan run full speed all the time. It's a bit loud for my taste, but not unbearable.

If you can't bring the loaded temps down, You are probably still ok, since there are few things that will load a cpu as much as 4 instances of prime 95.

Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 15:20:33    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

acruxksa wrote:
Doctor Feelgood wrote:

If intel drops prices as expected at the end of July the q6600 will be approx $270.

Tweaked_J,
You have a nice setup. Temps are a tad high, but there are things you can do to try and bring them down. first, have you tried lowering your cpu voltage? If things are stable, try lowering it slowly and see if it's still stable. second, what setting do you have your case fans running (low,med,high) you might be able to turn them up a bit to improve cooling. Also, I know it's odd, but have you tried rotating the zalman cooler so it blows air through the cooling fins and then out the top 200mm fan instead of the rear 120mm case fan? This is how I oriented mine and it seems to work quite well. Is your zalman plugged into the motherboard cpu fan header? If cpu fan speed is being managed by the bios, you could disable management and let the fan run full speed all the time. It's a bit loud for my taste, but not unbearable.

If you can't bring the loaded temps down, You are probably still ok, since there are few things that will load a cpu as much as 4 instances of prime 95.

how would i posistion it? could you send a pic? and i just realized the temps i wrote was from the hottest core, so the average of them all would be lower, i lowered the voltage also, and i enabled speedstep and C1e, everytihng seems to be running smooth, and the fans are on high.
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 20:27:57    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

This picture shows the fan orientation I am talking about. It blows up to the 200mm case fan on the top. I'm not sure if it makes a huge difference, but you never know. I have pretty good temps and all fans are on low except for the top front 120mm which is on med because of the crossfire setup.

Rated PG

PostPosted: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 01:31:36    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

doesnt the top one blow air into the case?? wouldnt this be bad?
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 02:16:25    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Tweaked_J wrote:

On my case, the top fan exhausts. Can't imagine yours is any different.

Rated PG

PostPosted: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 17:45:17    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

acruxksa wrote:
Tweaked_J wrote:

but thats weird cuz my top fan doesnt pull air very much yet the fan i have on the back of my case really sucks the air out, id'e think it would run cooler like this, but maybe i try it like your way just to see, i just gotta get sumbody to help me with the heatsink. I put everything together exceot the heatsink, sumbody else put it on for me, and knowing me ide break something Razz
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

mario2008
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 17:05:09    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hey acruxksa Nice work on overclocking with zalman 9700 Smile
I'm planing on building my new computer soon need some opinion!!!

well here is the spec

case
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - can i fit a 120 mm side fan with zalman 9700 or tuniq power heat sink?

cpu
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor -
I might over clock the cpu to 3.0 not farther then that, If I get zalman 9700nt going to be sufficient?or should I get tuniq power?
Btw if do get any one of this heak sink is it going to fit on my GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R mother board?

ram suggestion-

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory -

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

CORSAIR Dominator 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

I choose this 3 so far which one you suggest?

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 looks cheaper then other 2 but its easly oc to 1000.

video card
EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card -

hard drive
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) ST3500630AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive -

1xdvd burner

window xp

Mother board
GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard -

Power supply
SeaSonic S12 Energy Plus SS-650HT ATX12V / EPS12V 650W Power Supply

another thing i need decent fan controler any recommendation?

thats about it.
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 02:12:19    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Mario2008,
I was able to fit a 120mm side fan on my case with the Zalman9700. I realized I didn't need it so I eventually removed it, but it did fit.

I am currently running 4GB (2x2Gb) of G.Skill ram and it works great for me. If you don't plan on going beyond 3.0Ghz, I wouldn't spend money on anything more than DDR2-800 (DDR2-667 would be sufficient, but It's not much cheaper so you might as well get the DDR2-800). Any of the three you listed should work great for 3.0Ghz, the Dominator is probably a bit over the top though.

The Seasonic S12 is a very good PSU and should work well for you.

If I had a choice at the time I probably would have gotten the Tuniq Tower 120 but it was out of stock at the time so I got the Zalman. I don't know how well the TT120 will fit in the Antec900, but there is quite a bit of room so I don't think it would be a problem either. The Zalman required me to remove the rear heat sink on the motherboard (Gigabyte calls it the Crazy Cool Plate or something like that) in order to install it, which was a bit of a pain. Not sure how the TT120 installs, but it has to be easier.

Lastly I'm not very familiar with the current lineup of fan controllers so I have no recommendations in that area (I believe BB has reviewed several in the past though so you might want to look through his review section). Each of the included case fans in the Antec 900 have an internal switch that allows either Low, Medium or High fan speed settings, but they are not very accessible because you have to open the case to adjust them. It's not really a problem though, because I find that the Low and Medium settings are more than sufficient for my needs.

Doh!

PostPosted: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 02:20:48    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Tweaked_J wrote:
acruxksa wrote:
Tweaked_J wrote:

but thats weird cuz my top fan doesnt pull air very much yet the fan i have on the back of my case really sucks the air out, id'e think it would run cooler like this, but maybe i try it like your way just to see, i just gotta get sumbody to help me with the heatsink. I put everything together exceot the heatsink, sumbody else put it on for me, and knowing me ide break something Razz

Air velocity from the 120mm will be higher than from the 200mm, but without a doubt the 200mm will move more air at the same setting as the 120mm fan.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 4 of 18

Jump to: