Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Run any app off a USB drive?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wonkotheinsane
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 02:02:49    Post Subject: Run any app off a USB drive? Reply with quote View Single Post

Hey, guys, do you have the experience of running your daily used apps off a USB drive?

Which is I am now trying to do. But I find that only portable apps can be run like that.

while some apps like MS office are not portably available. How can I do that?
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

caligo
Rated R

PostPosted: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 11:07:36    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Try www.portableapps.com

I have used the portable firefox on several occasions.

After some upgrades, firefox was removed from the computers and the current administration decided not to have it reinstalled for the time being. From my experience, I am not sure I would recommend it for daily use. Depending on how demanding your projects are it can appear to hang on certain items. You have to remember how slow the usb combination is (usb drive speed/connection to pc/pc speed -mostly usb drive speed). If you have a bit of patience, then give it a try. The link contains freeware items such as open office (office like), thunderbird (email) , gimp (photo editing), cd burners, zip programs, and a bit more.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 11:19:04    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

You pretty much have to settle for alternatives if you want them portable, since most common things make registry entries. Instead of MS Office, you can have Open Office...
Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 12:19:01    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Also you can give http://www.portablefreeware.com/ a try to find usb working software.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 12:53:22    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

1) Get a LARGE USB drive
2) Install Windows on USB Drive (by using something such as http://www.vbox.me/)
3) Install what you want, that you have the room for.
wonkotheinsane
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 23:35:51    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Just stumbled upon prayaya. I installed prayaya on my USB drive and then installed MS Office 2003 suite on prayaya. It seems working very well on other computers.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 08:49:42    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Damn! We got punked by a Chinese spammer. Bang Head

let me go find the ban button...
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: