Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
is it absolutely necessary?
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TIMB3RW01F
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 05:05:01    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

(TSC)Bender wrote:
The cost of watercooling could get you a better card than what you have. Like everyone else, I recommend that route.

As for learning overclocking, doing it for the video card is a little easier than the CPU. You can enable it in the driver or get an external program like Rivatuner that already has overclocking available. I personally up the core and memory clocks in increments of 5MHz and run a few games and benchmark programs and check for any instability and abnormal graphics artifacts (usually white snow or messed up polygons). If you run into any of those, bump the clocks down and you pretty much have your maximum overclock. Most factory clock settings give you a little space to overclock, even with standard fan cooling.

To be honest, I have a better card although the GPU fan came D.O.A. Is it possible to use watercooling on it instead of a GPU fan? It's the NVidia GeForce 9800GT 1GB card. It ran fine for a while but then it became hot as the fires of Hell so I don't know if it's possible to maybe use water cooling in lieu of a GPU fan. i've always wanted to tinker with Water Cooling.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

TIMB3RW01F
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 05:11:24    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

acruxksa wrote:
Just out of interest, what are you using the 8400gs for that you feel it needs to be oc'd? Also, what other system specs do you have? PSU?

i forget my Power supply power although i think it's 800? My PSU is Thermaltake. I like it. My CPU is an Intel Pentium 4 3gHz. Intel motherboard. Basically, I wanna get into extreme gaming. I can only currently run the medium-grade requirement games. I want to be able to run Crysis and Bioshock on high graphics settings.
(TSC)Bender
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 10:36:47    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Watercooling would work if you want to try it out. Of course, if you want to go the cheaper route, the third party onboard heatsink fans are a good option. I've had good experiences with Arctic Cooling.

My first recommendation if you want a serious performance increase is to upgrade that CPU. That P4 is definitely bottlenecking that card (quite possibly the same for that 8400GS). I have a Athlon X2 4200+ and a 8800GT (similar to that 9800GT) and it does Bioshock high no sweat and Crysis high reasonably well in most areas. My friend actually has similar specs (P4 3.0Ghz, 8500GT), and even that graphics card gets a performance increase with a better processor based on some benchmarks i've seen.
sbrehm72255
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 11:39:13    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

TIMB3RW01F wrote:

To be honest, I have a better card although the GPU fan came D.O.A. Is it possible to use watercooling on it instead of a GPU fan? It's the NVidia GeForce 9800GT 1GB card. It ran fine for a while but then it became hot as the fires of Hell so I don't know if it's possible to maybe use water cooling in lieu of a GPU fan. i've always wanted to tinker with Water Cooling.

Sure you can water cool the 9800GT if you wanted to, any card can be water cooled if you buy the right components and it'll keep your temps well under control..................... Grin

acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 11:47:41    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I think it would definitely be worth the hassle to water cool the 9800GT, but not really worth it to water cool the 8400gs. If you switch to water cooling for your cpu and have the gpu water block anyways, that would be one thing, but to go out and purchase a water cooling system specifically for an 8400gs would be overkill.
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 12:03:05    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

acruxksa wrote:
I think it would definitely be worth the hassle to water cool the 9800GT, but not really worth it to water cool the 8400gs. If you switch to water cooling for your cpu and have the gpu water block anyways, that would be one thing, but to go out and purchase a water cooling system specifically for an 8400gs would be overkill.

yeah, good point. i think i'm going to go the third-party gpu fan route. get myself a new fan and see how that would work.
sbrehm72255
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 12:46:44    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

A quality after market cooler is all that is really required to keep a 9800GT under control, even while OC'ing. Even though water cooling does provide better cooling performance, your bange for your buck is not really there. A halfway good quality water cooling setup for just the GPU would run around $150 or so and a quality air cooler around $50 or so, the math speaks for its self on this one.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

kryptonian_sher
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 22:18:21    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

slugbug wrote:
Not worth it to use water cooling on an 8400GS. All you need to do is download RivaTunerand play around with it a little.

yup, i agree... RivaTuner would be enough for tweaking around with your 8400GS
bluffmaster.1990
Rated PG

PostPosted: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 10:01:01    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

yups......don't waste money on watercooling......its not worth it....get a better card with the extra money...
rj_cool81
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 14:58:35    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

why OC 8400gs?.. just buy a new card..

new card can also be integrated w/ h2o kits..

Antec LANBOY | Intel Q6600 @ 3.2 (400x8) | Zalman CNPS9700NT | MSI P45 Platinum ZILENT Ed. | Team Xtreem Dark 1066 2x2GB (4-4-4-9 @ 1:1) | Palit 9800GT Sonic 512MB | SeaGate 500+320GB SATA HDD | HEC WinPower 550w | HP w2228H 22" LCD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: