Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
is it absolutely necessary?
Go To Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TIMB3RW01F
Rated PG

PostPosted: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 02:55:29    Post Subject: is it absolutely necessary? Reply with quote View Single Post

I have a NVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB PCIe video card. I was wondering if it's absolutely necessary to use liquid-cooling for overclocking my video card? I don't have enough money to buy a kit and a compatible case, so i was wondering if it's absolutely positively necessary. If so, I'll wait until I get paid to buy all the accoutrements needed.

Thanks, BigBruiners!
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 06:33:53    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi -

Which brand card is it? Have a link to show it / the cooler?

Most should be just fine without modifying the cooler in order to get at least a moderate overclock out of it.

Monitor the temperatures before you start, and see if they are already high... Then watch them closely as you make any changes.
TIMB3RW01F
Rated PG

PostPosted: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 06:52:56    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Jason wrote:
Hi -

Which brand card is it? Have a link to show it / the cooler?

Most should be just fine without modifying the cooler in order to get at least a moderate overclock out of it.

Monitor the temperatures before you start, and see if they are already high... Then watch them closely as you make any changes.

it's the Galaxy NVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB PCIexpress.

plus i KINDA need help on learning to overclock. i just can't understand the online walkthroughs
slugbug
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 12:06:50    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Not worth it to use water cooling on an 8400GS. All you need to do is download RivaTunerand play around with it a little.
burnin8r
Rated R

PostPosted: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 12:43:07    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

If you were thinking of spending money on watercooling, why not just get a better video card instead ? The 8400 GS is more for HD playback than gaming. for less than $100 you can drop in an ATi 4670 or a 4830 if you think your power supply can handle it.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 15:11:34    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

burnin8r wrote:
If you were thinking of spending money on watercooling, why not just get a better video card instead ? The 8400 GS is more for HD playback than gaming. for less than $100 you can drop in an ATi 4670 or a 4830 if you think your power supply can handle it.

After looking that part up, I agree. I wouldn't spend extra on a cooler for that card, and wouldn't get too serious about trying to overclock it. Maybe go for a small percentage, but I doubt you will see much of anything to get excited about.
(TSC)Bender
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 17:50:37    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

The cost of watercooling could get you a better card than what you have. Like everyone else, I recommend that route.

As for learning overclocking, doing it for the video card is a little easier than the CPU. You can enable it in the driver or get an external program like Rivatuner that already has overclocking available. I personally up the core and memory clocks in increments of 5MHz and run a few games and benchmark programs and check for any instability and abnormal graphics artifacts (usually white snow or messed up polygons). If you run into any of those, bump the clocks down and you pretty much have your maximum overclock. Most factory clock settings give you a little space to overclock, even with standard fan cooling.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

anonemus
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 21:37:16    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

For beginners, its advisable to use nvidia's noob-friendly nTune. You can safely OC your card's chip and memory with this Smile

http://www.nvidia.com/object/ntune_5.05.54.00.html
sbrehm72255
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 23:25:54    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'd opt for using RivaTuner instead of Ntune, its just as easy to clock your card with and its more stable IMHO.
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 01:40:53    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Just out of interest, what are you using the 8400gs for that you feel it needs to be oc'd? Also, what other system specs do you have? PSU?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: