Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
overclocking - Asus P6t
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
assassinated
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 10:51:05    Post Subject: overclocking - Asus P6t Reply with quote View Single Post

Okay, so i'm pretty new to overclocking and was wondering with the P6t if there's a guide or anything people could suggest to figure out the proper settings to tweak for latency, etc? A lot of what I've read in various places seems to imply it basically has to be hand tuned.

I have 6gb of corsair dominators to go with it. the 6GB Kit - 9-9-9-24 DRR3 15k, etc.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

sbrehm72255
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 10:38:45    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

OC'ing the P6T is extremely simple depending on how high you plan on OC'ing the board. Basically you can hit 3.2 or so with a i7 920 with everything set on auto and only changing the the buss and memory speed.
assassinated
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 14:08:10    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

sbrehm72255 wrote:
OC'ing the P6T is extremely simple depending on how high you plan on OC'ing the board. Basically you can hit 3.2 or so with a i7 920 with everything set on auto and only changing the the buss and memory speed.

What about the fact that the CL timings need to be modified, etc? There are an enormous amount of options ( daresay overload for a new overclocker as myself) in the P6T bios, which is why I was asking about what to set, etc, as shown here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/x58-motherboard-i7,2252-5.html
sbrehm72255
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 10:41:05    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

For the memory just set the top setting one the AI tweaker page to the XMP profile and you should be golden. Depending on the OC that you're shooting for you'll need to set the memory freg as close to 1600 as possible.

For a 3.2 OC on my rig everything is set to auto except the BCLK is 160, Memory is 1600. There's no real reason to mess with anything else unless you're going higher and for that you'll need better than factory cooling.

assassinated
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 10:47:38    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

ahhh. Yeah, I just want to run a little faster when necessary and/or know how. i'm not going for competitive overclocks. I'm sure the ram can handle it but even with the thermalright for the i7 920 I have, I'm still feeling careful about this board.
sbrehm72255
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 10:50:06    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

The board will take almost anything you toss at it, I've had mine over 4.2 so far (not 24/7), my 24/7 OC is 3.6 right now...............Wink

assassinated
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 15:28:40    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Holy crap, it was easier than I thought it would be - I was all worried about having to disable stuff, fiddle with this and that, and all I had to do was pick the speed of the ram I wanted, and multiplier for the processor. Hard to believe I was running the ram slower before.

There were 2 things I wondered about though:

First, the default ram voltage seems to be 1.8v, if I recall correctly (beyond the bios warning), 1.8v is overvolt isn't it?

Also, it seemed that my timings were 9/9/9/24 when they i thought it's 8/8/8 24 (corsair dominator 6GB DDR3 16K I think)?. Should I manually set it to 8/8/8/24?

This was what I saw from CPU-Z about the 8/8/8/24, I think it defaulted that in the bios even.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

sbrehm72255
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 23:48:30    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Set your ram timings using the XMP setting at the top of the AI screen.

Default voltage for the ram at that setting should be 1.60-1.65.

No tri-channel memory designed for the X58 chip set should be higher than 1.65. And if you do go higher, well, the warning is there for a reason.

assassinated
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sat, 04 Apr 2009 00:14:20    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

sbrehm72255 wrote:
Set your ram timings using the XMP setting at the top of the AI screen.

Default voltage for the ram at that setting should be 1.60-1.65.

No tri-channel memory designed for the X58 chip set should be higher than 1.65. And if you do go higher, well, the warning is there for a reason.

XMP and not that middle setting?

I seriously think it defaulted to 1.8
sbrehm72255
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sat, 04 Apr 2009 00:39:33    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I just looked this up on the Corsair web page about the Dominator DDR3-1600 and this is what they have to say.

"The TR3X6G1600C8D is a 6144MByte kit of DDR3 SDRAM DIMMs based upon Corsair’s high
performance Dominator family of memory which includes Intel’s Extreme Memory Profiles (XMP 1.2).
This enables a robust, profile based high performance DDR3 over-clocking solution for Intel X58
platforms targeted for enthusiasts, gamers and overclockers who want to extract maximum
performance from their platforms. Built using Corsair’s Dual-path Heat Xchange (DHX) technology,
this part delivers outstanding performance in the latest generation of X58 DDR3-based motherboards.
This memory has been verified to operate at 1600MHz at latencies of 8-8-8-24 at 1.65V VDIMM."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: