Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Icy Dock MB455SPF 5-Bay Internal SATA Drive Enclosure
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 06:40:43    Post Subject: Icy Dock MB455SPF 5-Bay Internal SATA Drive Enclosure Reply with quote View Single Post

The Icy Dock MB455SPF is a great choice for someone that needs more hard drive bays or hot-swap capabilities. If you have a RAID array spanning multiple drives, something like this is an excellent idea since it allows you to use as little space as possible, lets you swap out drives on the fly, and provides additional cooling to the drives. - The Review
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

empty1969
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 20:21:27    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

So how many power connectors do you have to attach to the unit? Do you need all 5 or can you choose to use the 3 sata plugs or the 2 molex plugs to power the whole unit?

Empty
Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 10:48:58    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I connected all of the power connections. I assumed one is needed for each hard drive but the reason for the molex connectors is that not many power supplies come with 5 sata power connectors.

I wouldn't want to test it now since I have a raid 5 array.
Comm
Rated PG

PostPosted: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 04:19:59    Post Subject: Fan Noise Reply with quote View Single Post

How noisy is the fan? And what sort of temperatures are the drives running at?
Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 09:08:48    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

With the enclosure in my server I cannot pick out that fan noise. CPU fans are about 30dBA, so it isn't louder than them.

Temps are around 40C.
rudepeople
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 17:38:58    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Modulok wrote:
With the enclosure in my server I cannot pick out that fan noise. CPU fans are about 30dBA, so it isn't louder than them.

Temps are around 40C.

I am considering purchasing 4 of these for a mass storage server I am building (yes, I DO plan to slap in 20 1500GB drives for a tidy 28.5TB raid 5 array... why do you ask? Grin ). Question; what kind of temps are you seeing on the two drives farthest from the fan? I noticed there appears to be a spot in the enclosure that does not provide very much in the way of air flow...

Is there a 5 drive enclosure you would recommend OVER this one? Bearing in mind this is for a massively dense storage server (IE- large cluster of hard drives in a tightly confined space).

NOTE: don't care about noise... Just function and longevity.
Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 21:13:47    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

More or less the fan is just for sucking hot air from the drives. I do not think there is much temperature difference between drives. I would recommend a case without a door. I used to have my server in a front door case, and when I would open it, the drives were pretty hot. Now I have my server in the Lian Li case I reviewed a few months back, and the drives are just warm.

This is the only multi-drive hot swap unit I have ever used, so I can't compare any others. I did have to replace the fan though, it got real noisy.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

rudepeople
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 15:12:08    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Modulok wrote:

I have my server in the Lian Li case I reviewed a few months back, and the drives are just warm.

That's Ironic... that's the same chassis I plan to use... I have always had an affinity for Lian Li... their chassis designs tend to be superior for air cooling but easily modified for whatever you need.

Modulok wrote:

This is the only multi-drive hot swap unit I have ever used, so I can't compare any others. I did have to replace the fan though, it got real noisy.

Meh, as long as the fans do their job, I don't care about noise... I plan to build this server and set it up in a closet somewhere. (not an actual closet really, but a room where I am not.)

I was planning on mounting a "wall" of 120mm fans vertically in the center of the system to create a wind tunnel effect... in reality I probably will simply pull the fans off the Backplanes and allow the "wall of fans" to draw directly from the HDDs... but this is all just speculation for now. I have no idea how well that would work.

One last thing... If I provide one would you be willing to give me full a review of an iStarUSA BPU-350, much like you did for the Icy Dock MB455SPF?
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 10:43:51    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi... You want to sponsor a review? If so, send me an e-mail at admin @ bigbruin.com

(minus the spaces and all)... Smile
rudepeople
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 22:46:14    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

awesome. I hope you will still be around when I start the project...

this whole thing will take me the better part of this year to build, when I get to the backplanes, I REALLY like the look of the iStarUSA BPs... heck the 3 and 4 drive BPs have slots for tool-less chassis!

Anyway, yes, I am interested in sponsoring two reviews... I prefer other people be my guinea pigs with things like this. When the project gets as large as mine a few hundred bucks for research and proof of concept are nothing. So when I get to that point I'll e-mail you. Expect to hear from me in a couple of months for the iStarUSA BPU-230-SA-BLUE and another six months after that for the iStarUSA BPU-350-Blue

The three drive rack is for my new Workstation, and the five drive racks (four of 'em) are for my server. I'll be providing you with one of each.

But out of curiosity... If I set you up with four of the BPU-350-Blue, could I talk you into testing them out in your Lian Li PC-A77B with as many drives as you can muster? I would LIKE to know what kind of power/heat provisions I would have to consider.

FINAL NOTE: Yes... when I build a system... I BUILD A SYSTEM!!! none of this instant gratification, instant failure garbage everyone else goes through. I research the crap out the hardware I want until I am ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE it's just going to work (with the exception of occasional out-of-box failure).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Storage All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: