Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Windows XP Broadcom BCM4310 drivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 12:39:41    Post Subject: Windows XP Broadcom BCM4310 drivers Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi guys,

I'm having a real hard time with my mom's Gateway laptop. When we first got it, we had to wipte the drive to install our copy of the comapny's WIndows XP Pro SP2. Well, the install went fine, but getting some of the drivers for it did not. After about a week of searching online, I found only Linux drivers for the Broaadcom BCM4310 802.11 controller. I gave in and slapped on Gentoo. Worked okay, but still a lack of support for the i945GM graphics controller. Since this is going to be used for presentations, we need everything up to par. So I slapped back in the OEM install CD of XP Home. Installed, but back to the basic OS, which is fine by me. So I go back to the Gateway website and get what drivers I could. I got everything working now BUT the BCM4310 controller.

I have been talking to Gateway support for weeks now. They even said they'd send a rescure CD with the stuff I need which has not been delivered yet (said this two and a half weeks ago).

We need this thing up and running fully by next week and I am only home from college for this weekend. Now they want me to send the laptop back for repair when all they need to do is send me the correct driver. As I told them, we have no more time to waste sending it back to them for repair.

The thing that really amazes me is that not even Broadcom has these drivers on their site as they only distribute the drivers through their partners (such as Gateway).

So here's why my questions lie...
1. Does anyone have any Broadcom (a.k.a. 54g) BCM4310 802.11 chipset drivers for WIndows XP? Generic work, Gateway works. Anything?
2. Does anyone know if there is anything I can do to get a refund from either BestBuy or Gateway for this laptop so we can go out and get a new one (an ASUS like mine Smile). The 14 day return policy is obviously over as it has been a month we were dicking around with Gateway about the drivers.

God, I hate OEMs.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 13:10:48    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Reading around tells me that the HP Compaq NX6325 has the same Broadcom Wireless NIC.

Try this link to the HP driver...

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqnk/us/locate/64_6295.html

Looks like the Dell D420 also has this chipset NIC
renovation
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 14:45:52    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

what model is this laptop ?
Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 15:30:33    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well, when I was at their store fooling with the network and writing their tech department a nasty response, I decided I'd try the Dell BCM4310 drivers. I downloaded the self-extracting package and use the device driver update utility to manually select the INF file and it works flawlessly now...it's just titled a Dell product Smile. I can change that in th INF, but I'm too lazy, hehe. Finally got everything working on it!

For the record, the Gateway model is a MX6214.
mrweasel
I can haz cheezbrgr?

PostPosted: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 10:11:57    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

are there drivers on the Gateway site?

even Dell has drivers that are easy to find on their site.

OEMs suck

*hick*

PostPosted: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 11:26:58    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Order for buying a laptop.

Dell, HP/Compaq, Toshiba, IBM, Brick (any color is fine), Abacus, Box of Tissue, Belly Button Lint, Lice, Gateway.
Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 11:45:47    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Dr. EvilCheeze wrote:
Order for buying a laptop.

Dell, HP/Compaq, Toshiba, IBM, Brick (any color is fine), Abacus, Box of Tissue, Belly Button Lint, Lice, Gateway.

Haha, how true.

And no, the Gateway site has all of the drivers witht he exception of the Wireless drivers...and the chipset drivers they have don't work (I just got the chipset drivers right from Intel site).

I prefer Dell over Gateway anyday, but I am still reluntant to use any OEM anymore with cheap hardware, fake support, and a bunch of useless garbage supposedly making their systems easy enough for an idiot to use. Well, unfortunately for them...I'm no idiot so to hell with that stuff! *logs into Newegg Smile *
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

vileguy
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 03:53:26    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Dunno about the credibility of this site...like if you're gunna get spyware or something, but looks like this is what you need.

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/NETWORK-CARD/OTHER-NETWORK-CARDS/BROADCOM-Wireless-802-11b.shtml

hope that helps

edit: hm missed where you said it works...well glad to hear it Grin

sunguf
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 12:05:23    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I know this is an old post but I've looked everywhere for an answer and this was the only site that even had a clue to this problem.

I recently had to replace my harddrive on my MX6214 Gateway and had to reintstall windows XP and all Drivers. Well I was able to find all the drivers online except the one for the Network controller. Broadcom multiband 802.11 Network Adapter.

Now my question is how did you get the other driver to work? where'd you download it and how? I'm lost on what to do and really need this fixed. I own another MX6214 Gateway that has the driver installed is there anyway to transfer over the file without corrupting my computer?

Thanks
Frank
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: