Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Help Me OC my 3200+ A64
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 14:24:33    Post Subject: Help Me OC my 3200+ A64 Reply with quote View Single Post

I have a set up that should be able to overclock, but my skills on the OC area are rusty, and mostly P4 related.

My modified setup for overclocking adventures includes:

• AMD Athlon-64 3200+ processor (Venice)
• ASUS A8N-E nForce4 Ultra motherboard
• 1024MB (2x 512MB) Corsair PC4000 Pro DDR
• 1x 200GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 SATA HDD
• 500W Enermax Liberty PSU
• Thermalright SI-120 CPU Cooler
• Windows XP SP2

I haven't done much, as I really don't understand all of the new memory settings to be addressed. I have everything at default, except the Vmem is upped to 2.8V (this board goes as high as 3.0V).

Nothing changed on the CPU yet, and I have not touched anything like HT, etc...

Right now I can run rock solid at 10x multiplier and 225MHz = 2250 MHz @ 30C under full load. Just completed 12 hours of the Sandra Burn In Wizard using only Mem and CPU benches at these settings.

Trying 226MHz locks it up, upping the CPU voltage just 0.0125V locks it up.

Thanks Gurus! King
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 14:32:40    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Drop the multi down to like 7x and start working your FSB up.

Just because 226 locks it up doesn't mean thats a limit, try 230.

Sounds wierd, but some frequencies dont work while higher ones do.

Lower your HTT from (guessing 4x) to 3x this will take the OC off the Hyperthread bus. (Does nothing for speed)

Asylum and I are going to have to tag team this one, he is more involved with it, and I would have to go back and figure out WTH I used to know.

But start with those things first.

And like I tell everyone, read a few threads at XS in the AMD section. 10 minutes of reading there will answer many questions about sweet spots for memory OC and Processor.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 14:43:38    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well, already an improvement!

I read a thread somewhere else before I saw your post that suggested 3x HT, so I have that in now (It was on auto, which was equal to 4x).

Dropped the multiplier down to 8x (for now), and upped the FSB to 230MHz.

And hey, it is still running... Laughing

Should I stick with 2.8V on the memory for now? And should I leave the Vcore alone? It is on auto, which is apparently 1.400V.

How about all the crazy mem settings? I haven't touched any of them, but do know the DDR is rated for 3-4-4-8. This stuff is almost 2 years old, and I am guessing doesn't have the awesome chips like TCCD or anything. It also has the light up heatspreaders, so I am not taking them apart to look.

I will keep upping the FSB until things get ugly again.

Thanks!
HackaX0rus
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 14:56:25    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

u doin this in windows via clock gen...or in da bios
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 14:58:39    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I am trying both. But, this is the first Windows oc app I have used that actually writes the changes to the BIOS.

So, if I am in Windows overclocking and reboot, there are the setting right in the BIOS. Plus, if I am OCing Windows and it freezes, upon reboot the previous good settings are what the BIOS reports and the system will generally boot right back up.

May be old news, but it is all new to me! Laughing
Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 15:50:28    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yea, stick your Vcore up to 1.5, but you will have some strange ways to alter that Vcore depenfding on startup, and other things that will be specific to your Asus board, (can't help much there)

TCCD runs the best at 2.8 Vdimm, Bh-5 LOVES high voltages (as high as you can go), you are unsure of your chips, so gimme the exact label listing of the Ram and I will look it up and tell ya what to set Vdimm.

Knowing the chips will also allow me to tell you what to set the timings for (to a point).
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 16:07:50    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I have these modules... Corsair TWINX1024-4000PRO XMS4000 3-4-4-8-1T

Corsair PDF
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 16:20:52    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Found reference to either of these

XMS-PC4000 Rev1.1 (3-4-4-8-1T) --chip--> Hynix D43
XMS-PC4000 Rev3.1 (3-4-4-Cool --chip--> Samsung TCCC

The rev should be on the modules, but it doesnt really matter, not sure what to use for a Vdimm on Hynix or TCCC chips...

TCCC should be 2.8v no clue on the Hynix.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: