Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Mini Hard Drive Mini Roundup
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 07:39:01    Post Subject: Mini Hard Drive Mini Roundup Reply with quote View Single Post

In this review, a few different portable hard drives were rounded up to be compared head to head... a Transcend StoreJet 1.8 (TS20GSJ18), a Kanguru Quicksilver (U2-HD2-20) and a ME-910 enclosure with a Fujitsu laptop drive. All three drives boast a 20GB capacity, and incorporate slightly different features and specifications into somewhat similar products. - The Review

Last edited by Doctor Feelgood on Fri, 28 Apr 2006 14:14:31; edited 1 time in total
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

~*77*~
Xenophobe

PostPosted: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 12:28:25    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I have two comments triggered by seeing the following item at newegg.com

1. Look familiar? It is a Kanguru product, but it looks nearly identical to your ME-910 enclosure. Yeah, Firewire only, but it has to be from the same line.

2. Note the packaging on that item from Newegg, and their description of it: "Packaging: Retail" - You commented that the review sample came in OEM packaging. Maybe that isn't so, and Kanguru has a different view of what retail packaging should look like!

The size of that Transcend unit is impressive... I think 1" hdds are coming out... any protable devices using them yet? Or have I jumped the gun?

Wave
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 12:30:46    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

If that's their "retail" packaging, they better be Internet sales only. I would also call that OEM packaging rather than Retail packaging.
fatbastard
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 12:41:06    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

~*77*~...I can't really answer your first question... I bought my enclosure so long ago I can't remember who I got it from and if they were related to Kanguru, but you're right they do look a lot alike. In fact my drive came with silver sides and blue sides, so I think they are from the same manufacturer. As for your second point...all I can say is wow! I just assumed that the crappy packaging was OEM, If I remember correctly there is a single sticker on the outside indicating what is enclosed. If this is their retail packaging that is pretty sad! It is doubtful they will move many units regardless of the performance capabilities.

As for smaller form factor drives, yes they are on their way! But I think you'd have to talk to Big Bruin to see if any are headed here for review anytime soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Storage All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: