Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
SATA II Raid Cards?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 23 May 2012 17:30:51    Post Subject: SATA II Raid Cards? Reply with quote View Single Post

Anyone got a suggestion for a SATA II Raid card under $100 with at least (4) internal ports? I prefer (6) or more ports if possible(got a crap load of drives to use). I do not need any external SATA ports.

It needs to be a PCIe interface - can be PCIe -1x to 16x, doesn't matter. I have a 1x and 16x slot to use and will be using the onboard graphics(this will be a server). I really don't care if it is a "software" or "hardware" card. This will only be for LAN use to save/retrieve files. I'd like RAID 0/1/10/5 options, but can live with only RAID 0/1.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

SuperChip64
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sat, 07 Jul 2012 08:27:42    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

It's hard finding decent cards with more than 4 ports that are good and inexpensive...

I've used this Rosewill nicely under Windows 7: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132018 for a couple of years with no issues.

My card of choice is usually HighPoint for this sort of implementation. The only card Newegg carries with 4 internals and PCIe is just over your price range: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816115029

I haven't used that particular card myself, but a few of my friends have had excellent results with it.
ujn2006
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 10:12:55    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I use LSI Megaraid SAS 9240-4i. It works nicely for my needs.
MadHacker
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 18:55:02    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I would sugest SataIII... almost all new drives suport it and if you upgrade your drives you will get teh extra speed.
knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 09:01:54    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

MadHacker wrote:
I would sugest SataIII... almost all new drives suport it and if you upgrade your drives you will get teh extra speed.

I thought about that, but finding even SATA II cards with more than 4 internal ports has been a bear unless I wanted to dish out for server grade cards in the tune of several hundred dollars.

I doubt I'll upgrade the drives later. I don't build computers anymore, ...gave up that hobby. The computer I'm needing the card for is an older Athlon 64 that will only sit in a corner until it dies completely.
MadHacker
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 16:58:33    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

well here a list of PCIE SataII cards with 4 connectors
Newegg list of cards

I use Higpoint cards and havn't had problem with them.
there is 1 in the list...
Shadowsilence
I <3 Chevrolet

PostPosted: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 21:52:25    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I used to have a highpoint rocket raid card awhile back. Loved it, never had an issue with it except it wouldn't work in my newer PC. I think it was because the mobo already had 3 other raid controllers build in.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: