Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Snake Byte the rattlesnake computer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashant
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 23:01:19    Post Subject: Snake Byte the rattlesnake computer. Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi people, been a while since I've been here. Wink

I just wanted to show everyone my newest computer build that I built for my father.

I wanted to build him a 1 of a kind computer for Christmas and this is what he got. Smile

Snake Byte
the worlds first Rattlesnake computer

To turn him on/off you press down on the part of the SSD drive sticking out of his mouth.

Mobo bay.

PSU bay.

Slot loading DVD bay.

I created "Snake Byte" the Rattlesnake computer for my father as a Christmas gift. When it is turned on there is a faint blue light from a couple of blue LED's I installed behind the hard drive to show that it is powered up. It also has a slot loading DVD drive so their is no tray that comes out.

I built Snake Byte out of the plaster bandages that are usually used for casting arms legs and such if you break or injure them. It turned out to be about 7 layers thick when finished and before painting it I coated it with a rubber coating to make it more durable.

I did the paint job half by hand with paint brushes for the shading and fine detail and half by rattle cans (pardon the pun) and finished with a couple of clear coats to protect the finish. With up close shots you can see a lot of the shading detail that was done to make the skin look real.

The entire snake body, head and rattle I made from scratch without any preset snake molds (if there is a such thing). I used the balloons that are commonly used to make balloon animals as casting bases to make the snakes body and a normal balloon pressed flat for the head. The rattle I made from scratch and though it may not seem it the snakes rattle actually has 6 different colors in it to give it a realistic look which was painted entirely by brush.

The hardest part of building Snake Byte was feeding the wires to where they all had to go from component bay to component bay as the body of the snake is only about 2 and a half inches thick. This may sound a little funny but I actually used a small plastic drain snake to snake the wires through the snake.

All in all this mod came out great and though it may look big in the pictures it is only about 27 inches tall. The specs are kinda low but it is for my father who only does light internet surfing and such. Smile

I welcome all questions and comments. Smile

Vashant
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

jedihobbit
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 15:59:09    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

That is indeed novel and an interesting idea!!! Nice to see people still thinking out of the box! Thumbs Up Trophy

What would be cool is if you would list your system specs as I ass_u_me that it is based on a ITX mobo??

DreamCatcher AM3 >> (Down Again) >> SG01 Evo, MSI 785GM-E65, PII X4 955(AQ H2O Cooled), XFX GTX285(EK H2O Cooled), Seagate 7200.10 ST380815AS 80GB, 2 x G.S. F3-12800CL7D-2GBPI, MODU82+ EMD525AWT, XP Home SP2
KestrelFlight >> (Under Construction) >> Zalman Z7+, MSI NF980-G65, PII X4 1055T, 2 x Galaxy 580GTXs, Zalman 32GB SSD, WD V'Raptor 300GB, 2 x WD 1 TB Blacks, G.S. F3-16000CL9D-4GBTD, Zalman ZM1000-HP Plus , Win7
Oz1a v2.0 >> XFX MDA72P7509 750a, PI X2 8870BE, 2 x XFX GTS250, WD 250GB, F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK, Tt TR2 600W, XP Pro SP3
Enigmachine
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 17:30:26    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

That is really impressive, very original!

Looks like it swallowed more than a mouse full Smile

Now the next step would be to make it animated - that would be a bit creepy actually! Nice painting job too.

I wonder if you could have used an external (pico-like) power supply and stuck the motherboard as a flat base for the whole statue? Either that, or make the 'swallowed' bits look like something else than boxes - like have bunny ears stick out or something?

Anyways - great idea, I love it!
vashant
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 17:41:13    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

HI, sorry I forgot to post the specs. They are really low as my father pretty much just surfs the net. Smile

Mobo: Intel G41 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
processor : Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 Allendale 1.8GHz
ram : G.skill 4 gig ddr2 800 pc6400
hard drive : OCZ 30gig ssd
psu : Athena Power 220W
dvd : SONY 8X DVD Multi Writer Black Slim SATA Model

Though the specs are low the SSD really makes windows xp super fast.
raulbog
Rated PG

PostPosted: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 19:21:46    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

That's a great system.

As the other poster wrote - next step is to add movement. Would be great if the tail rattled during boot-up.
dlb
Rated PG

PostPosted: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 22:25:02    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Wow!!! I'm impressed! The creativity and thought that went into this is ASTOUNDING!!! Nice work!!! How are the temps? Looks like it might run a bit warm.... is the snake pose-able? Adjustable? Yeah - a cell phone vibrator in the tale with some BB's in a pingpong ball would be awesome!!!
vashant
Rated PG

PostPosted: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 22:41:12    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

The cpu temps are great and stay in the low 30's because the processor is only a e4300 which I lapped in the past and it has the side intake 80mm fan only about 2 inches directly across from the cpu cooler.

It is not pose-able. Originally I was going to add a motion sensor and have it activate a rattling tail, though I had everything all figured out including the mechanical aspect which involved a camshaft and other parts I just ran out of time. I didn't finish it until the day before christmas, with a working rattle it would have been a couple more weeks and I just didn't have that much time as it was a christmas gift for my father. Smile
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

James86
Rated R

PostPosted: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 18:51:23    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

that is awesome
unless you are afraid of snakes
AustralianGQ
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 23:11:45    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

lol wtf.
robbieshaw1992
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 04:35:56    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

wow that's actually awesome! not to my taste, but the idea and fact u've done it is kool!
it may be made for your father, but I reckon u'd have a hard time keeping small kids away from that thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: