Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
D-Link DVG-1120M VoIP Gateway
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 16:23:46    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

IceNine wrote:
You and your Cisco propaganda!

Don't make me call the Cisco cops on you again.... Yikes
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Bert
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 09:36:02    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

clean revieuw
deeno
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 11:53:59    Post Subject: D-Link DVG-1120M VoIP Gateway Review - Reply Reply with quote View Single Post

I just want to verify if the download/upload speeds were affected because of the G711 codec used. did you try using G729 codec? G711 consumes more than 64kbps bandwidth while with g729 it is generally like 18k at most.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 12:12:52    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi deeno... I did not change any of the settings on the device, and looking through the literature did not see an area describing that this was a user option.

I saw three compression standards listed in the spec, but don't know which is actually in use during my normal operation. I'd try testing them, if someone pointed me in the direction of a 'how-to'...

Thanks, and welcome...
mapomme
Rated PG

PostPosted: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 01:37:37    Post Subject: Re: D-Link DVG-1120M VoIP Gateway Review - Reply Reply with quote View Single Post

deeno wrote:
I just want to verify if the download/upload speeds were affected because of the G711 codec used. did you try using G729 codec? G711 consumes more than 64kbps bandwidth while with g729 it is generally like 18k at most.

I wonder if one of the factor contributing to the observed behavior is not the asymmetry of the DSL link.
This effect has been identified and studied at IETF. The results are publicized in the document BCP 69-RFC 3449 (TCP Performance Implications of Network Path Asymmetry).
It would require:
- the VoIP stream to be steady (not bursty) on the uplink
- TCP is the transport protocol used to convey data on the downlink (most likely if it is web browsing)
An interesting test would be to see what max data rate could be reached downlink with a UDP flow during a call.
maguirre22
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 23:32:19    Post Subject: D-Link DVG-1120M VoIP Gateway Review Reply with quote View Single Post

I just ran across this review since I received my TA from AT&T today and activited. I am very concern about the security of this device. Has anyone explore the Telnet port being open on this device? Are there any recommended security (firewall, nat settings) that should be added?

Does anyone know why the firewall options are locked down? How would I go about findig out what the userid/pw are?

How easy is it to break into this device and what could a hacker do once on it?

I am very concerned that is infront of my network router and firewall I have setup. Any recommendations here?
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 00:34:24    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I haven't played with this unit, so I can't say.

However what exactly are your concerns? Are you worried about if your worried about your network, it sounds like you have a firewall behind it so that should secure that.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

T-shirt
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 01:12:11    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Having outside the firewall is preferred, I believe. due to the protocols used it is unlikely (never say never, can't or impossible) that it could be used to tap or invade your data stream. Having a DMZ or open port to allow it to be seen, if behind the firewall, probably represents a greater danger. However the voice stream could possibly be compromised (guaranteed ,if Ashcroft gets his way) So keep your death threats, tax scams, and conspiracy's off the VOIP line. Laughing
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 11:13:32    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

A delayed welcome, but HI maguirre22...

I agree with the other two guys... The VoIP gateway is between the modem and the firewall, so security should be pretty solid.

You can obviously access it (I haven't) for firmware updates and other setting adjustments, but I am not sure what (if anything) anyone could do to your personal network if they did access it.
kaput
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 05:01:36    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Big Bruin,

Since you're on Vonage, where do you put the ATA?

How do you just plug your phone line in and get to Vonage?

Thanks in advance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Networking All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: